Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Gang,

I am a new member here, I have owned a Smart Fortwo electric version in the bad and had since returned it since it was a lease.

I am looking to purchase the gas version and needed some advice.

I found a 2013 with about 8k miles and the car does have a salvage title.

The buy is asking for $5,500 for it.

I was wondering if this is a good price or not.

I took a look a the car today and the car looks fine, this is a mechanic that bought it from an auction and the car was sold by Mercury Insurance due to damages to the front and rear fender.

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Hello Gang,

I am a new member here, I have owned a Smart Fortwo electric version in the bad and had since returned it since it was a lease.

I am looking to purchase the gas version and needed some advice.

I found a 2013 with about 8k miles and the car does have a salvage title.

The buy is asking for $5,500 for it.

I was wondering if this is a good price or not.

I took a look a the car today and the car looks fine, this is a mechanic that bought it from an auction and the car was sold by Mercury Insurance due to damages to the front and rear fender.

Thanks in advance!
I wouldn't touch a salvaged micro car after an accident. Too much bent steel can be hidden and that car is heavily dependent on every safety feature working exactly as designed. Anything even slightly off can put that car into poor safety territory that would justify common fears of a small car. Unless you're knowledgeable about vehicle design and how to verify personally what was bent, damaged, etc, or unless you're able to verify through detailed records prior to auction, I'd personally avoid it.

Many similar and non-salvaged smarts aren't that much more expensive IMO, and even if they are one's personal safety + peace of mind should be worth the extra expense...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't touch a salvaged micro car after an accident. Too much bent steel can be hidden and that car is heavily dependent on every safety feature working exactly as designed. Anything even slightly off can put that car into poor safety territory that would justify common fears of a small car. Unless you're knowledgeable about vehicle design and how to verify personally what was bent, damaged, etc, or unless you're able to verify through detailed records prior to auction, I'd personally avoid it.

Many similar and non-salvaged smarts aren't that much more expensive IMO, and even if they are one's personal safety + peace of mind should be worth the extra expense...
Thanks for the reply.

What got me interested in this is the 8k miles on the car and the owner is a mechanic that has a very good yelp rating.

Assuming the car is in good condition with no bent or damage frame, is it worth $5,500? 8k miles with a salvage title?

·
Registered
145 Posts
I've never heard of an insurance company salvaging a car because of a bent fender. These plastic body panels cost about $100 and the insurance companies aren't stupid. There's most likely more damage to the car than meets the eye. Like MisterSmartLA said below, you can find a perfectly good clear title car for not much more money.

·
Registered
39 Posts
There are tons of 2013-2015 Smarts out there that are off fleet from CarToGo. I just got a 2013 with 17000 miles for 5K. They all have an upgraded JVC Radio, and some have extras like heated seats and power steering. Check Car Gurus or AutoTrader in your area. You only get white with solid roof and silver Tridion, but I put racing stripes and some nice wheel covers so it looks more like mine...

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would highly recommend checking craigslist or offerup for a used smart and stay clear away from the salvage title smarts. Our cells on the car can take some damage but if the car was totaled by insurance its obviously something hidden under the panels. I see quite a bit of low mileage smart for under 6 or 7 grand. That one is more than likely low mileage because it took a while before someone repaired it after its accident.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
If it has front and rear fenders damaged, chances are it was T-boned. that can cause damage to the suspension as both front and rear wheels get hit and project the force through the suspension.I would proceed with extreme caution, or look for something else.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hello There Again!!

I just found a 2011 with about 100k miles for $3,500 clean title.

Would this be a better buy then the $5,500 salvage title with about 8k miles?

·
Artz-smart
62 Posts
Do a search on car gurus or Carvana. Two years ago I bought my 2013 Pure on Carvana for $6000 with 19,000 miles. In less than two years I put on 56,000 trouble free miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello There,

It's me again.

I found 2 potentials and need help to decide on which one to get..........

1. $4,500 with 64656 miles (2009)

2. $5,750 with around 52000 miles (2014 - BoConcept Edition)

Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did not see where you posted your location but around here you can get one with half that mileage for the same price. I would look for one with less miles for sure. Places like smart car city have a bunch of off lease cars with very low mileage as well. Or at least look for a 1 owner vehicle it you can accept the high mileage. Our 2015 one owner cabrio with 15,000 miles was $6400, and that was high around here. You may have good luck with high mileage like others here on the forum, the fit and finish on them indicate there is plenty to go wrong if driven a lot.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I live in California and thats where I saw the BoConcept listed on craigslist. I considered adding that to my arsenal and figured it would make a good pair with my tailor made brabus smart. I would definitely take that one for the price and mileage at least you know you are in an even more limited release than a standard brabus.

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I live in California and thats where I saw the BoConcept listed on craigslist. I considered adding that to my arsenal and figured it would make a good pair with my tailor made brabus smart. I would definitely take that one for the price and mileage at least you know you are in an even more limited release than a standard brabus.

You have a BRABUS tailor made?? :eek: Go right on ahead and get you a BoConcept Edition!

I still remember when smart USA rented out a store at the Santa Monica Promenade and had a large crew test driving smarts through Santa Monica's streets. The retail store had BoConcept furniture throughout, it was quite a nice presentation. There had to be a massive spend on it though, with the high rent neighborhood, the large marketing crew for test drives, and the open bar with snack foods to pretty much anybody willing to walk by...

·
Registered
84 Posts
Haha yea I owned a 2009 pure which was my daily and a 2008 passion. When I had spent a year with both I decided it was time for something else. It was between a porsche 911 or a smart brabus from walters mercedes. Well given that I just turned 21 this year I knew insurance would be killer on the 911 plus I just couldn't leave the smarts. I went to walters mercedes to purchase an all white brabus. They had that but right next to it was the Brabus tailor made. One glance at the interior and I traded my 09 in for it and made a deal.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Wow, we saw a tailor made at the place Mister-smart mentioned. The price tag was about $40k if I remember correctly.

Never had the option to buy a Porsche, and not next to a smart....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts