Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I owned one of the first Smarts in Austin Texas back in 2008. My sister has that car now and I am thinking I would like to try a Smart ED.

I am a member of USAA which has a $2800 savings incentive. Not sure if this stacks with the current $2000 incentive. If so with the $7500 Federal Credit and $2500 Texas Rebate, it gets very cheap to own a Smart ED.

Does anyone know if there are any ED's in stock Texas?

Thanks,
Kags

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
There are very few "IN STOCK" electric drives.

However. go to smartusa.com click on "shopping" and "build and price" and you can configure one to your exact specs.

once you have finalized exactly what you want, PRINT it out and take it to your local smart center and they can custom order one.

Current delivery timeframe if you order TODAY is around end of NOVEMBER.

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
once you have finalized exactly what you want, PRINT it out and take it to your local smart center and they can custom order one.
But here is where YMMV, not all smart Centers are created equal?

Unless your local Center has chosen to sell ED and has ED TRAINED Sales AND Service personnel they will not be able to order one? :banghead:

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
By now all smart centers "SHOULD" have been trained to at least be able to make a simple build request (same process for gas or electric)?

Full service might be another issue, but there isn't that much that can go worng?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
By now all smart centers "SHOULD" have been trained to at least be able to make a simple build request (same process for gas or electric)?

Full service might be another issue, but there isn't that much that can go worng?
What you say makes sense but is not the reality?

Without a dedicated charging station AND ED trained staff smart Centers can't lease or sell?

Little to no maintenance BUT lease/BAP requires battery be serviced annually?

Trust me on this as I have no Centers within ED range and smart will not support new ED delivery nor annual maintenance support beyond range.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I leased my Smart ED from a San Antonio, TX dealer at the end of March 2014. They said that they had to create 3 fake-customer pre-orders of them with varying options in order for their dealership to even get them in stock. At the time, nobody in the area had put in a pre-order request for the Smart ED. My dealership sold all of them within a couple of weeks.

My dealership did tell me that within TX, that Dallas had the largest inventory of Smart ED vehicles (14 of them). Houston, TX only had 6. I'm sure by now, all inventory of Smart ED's in TX have been depleted... I would highly suggest placing a pre-order (if your dealership can provide the option, if not, call around to other dealerships in TX to see if they can pre-order and have it shipped/dealer transfered to you.)

·
Super Moderator
28,240 Posts
There are plenty in California. Probably your best bet to find one on the lot - have it shipped to you. After that you are on your own. :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
I own one of the 10 that was sold in Fort Worth. Dallas only got 3-4. All were sold within a few weeks. All had customers attached and most without deposits. We selected one of the ones where a customer didn't go through with purchase. Had them swap panels with non-ED version (bottom ones on door can't be swapped, but we like the different look). It is red/silver and red interior. Likely only one like it in the country.

Anyway... you are most likely out of luck until Dec. Good chance the Texas rebate will run out of funds first anyway. We leased before Texas rebate started, but deal was too good to pass up and figured it was going to be an inventory problem quickly. We were right. I would be surprised if you find one in TX before Dec.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Nope, can't upload pictures. Not sure if too large or because of some restriction given I have not posted on board. You (or anyone) can send a picture request to my e-mail at actorps1 at Hotmail.com. The salesman didn't know the panels weren't the same until he was told there was issue during swap. I could either have the panels repainted or just not swap bottom ones. Sent me a pic of how it looked and we said don't swap them. He further stated guys in service liked the look and even salesman liked it after looking at it several times over the course of a few hours.

I changed antenna to stubby, added red license place screw covers to front plate and added red tire stems. Got expensive metalize tint (even clear on windshield). Changed door speakers to polk and installed imported leather armrest as ours didn't have armrest at all due to color interior. Might do some pastidip on wheels and/or logos, but can't justify too much else on a 2 year lease.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had my Smart ED panels swapped as well. They told me the same thing about the side trim below the doors cannot be swapped from the Smart ICE to the Smart ED. That's about as far as they would go in explaining the issue. I'm guessing that those panels are mounted differently due to the main battery compartment's location.

They ended up painting the non-swappable silver panels to match the yellow color of the swapped panels.

·
Registered
6 Posts
That is correct. The side panels under the door are cut differently in the part you can't see due to the battery in the bottom of the car. If they were yellow, I would have them painted also. It all depends on the original car color, original panel color, and new panel color. Ours was boring silver on silver, so having the car color the same as the panels made the bottom original panels look like they were done differently on purpose (such as a wrap) vs. the fact that they were just "left on the car" and other panels were swapped.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Key word there is HAD. Don't get me wrong, I want anyone who wishes to buy a Smart ED to find one, but inventory on smartusa.com doesn't list any for Sugarland or North Houston. Any Texan is likely going to have to get one from out of state and most likely the Texas dealerships can't trade a gas one for an ED. Good Luck!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts