Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody know of a screw-in radio antenna that will improve reception? I don't care if it's aftermarket or OEM from another make and model. And I don't care if it's twice as long. Just as long as I can unscrew the original and screw in the improvement. (and hopefully find one that is available at PepBoys/Autozone/Advance/NAPA/CentralAuto.)

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
Your troubles might not be the antenna, but with the antenna amplifier (or lack thereof) in your smart.

The biggest issue in reception is the quality of the receiver electronics. A well designed antenna amplifier will produce a signal that can be effectively processed by an otherwise "noisy" low-quality receiver.

A better antenna might help if you're on the very edge of a reception area and you know your receiver is very high quality (bringing in distant stations while others can't) but it won't help if your buddy gets that Chicago AM station at night but you can't.

A different antenna will supply very few dB of additional gain (very little improvement) over the standard smart antenna.

Check with your smart center about the antenna amplifier. Perhaps you don't have one or it's improperly installed.

Is your radio a factory radio or aftermarket?

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
I noticed my 2009 doesn't pick up the same stations on my commute that I could in my 2008, same radio so I can only assume it is the antenna. I was going to pick up an amplifier for the antenna, just haven't had the time. The MP3 player works good in the maentime.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Reception improved

I just replaced my battery and installed a longer 4 guage ground strap. $ 2.99 at O'Reillys auto parts. Couldn't get the original to reach the Optima battery negative battery post.
To my surprise my Radio is reception is much improved.
Researched why on Evilution site and found that he recommends installing the better ground/earth on all smart cars. It is the same ground that reaches the antenna...So better/bigger earth ground equals better reception...
I have a stubby antenna from smart car bits U.K. and Kenwood DNX5120

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hmm radio amplifier and bigger earth/ground are definitely gonna be on the menu.

I only asked this question for one selfish reason really: I want to pick up TAMPA 101.5 THE POINT in greater Orlando area. In Orlando proper, it comes in just fine.

·
Registered
560 Posts
hmm radio amplifier and bigger earth/ground are definitely gonna be on the menu.

I only asked this question for one selfish reason really: I want to pick up TAMPA 101.5 THE POINT in greater Orlando area. In Orlando proper, it comes in just fine.
Wow, you'd go through all that trouble and expense just to pick up ONE radio station ??:confused:

When you're done, you might wanna take a few pics, write a letter and send it off to the station, "This Is What I'll Do To Listen To You" type of thing, who knows, it may get you on the air or at least a free T-shirt !

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
my reason is a little more selfish. I drive roughly 43 miles to work and back, Halfway I have to switch stations as I can oly pick them up that far. The local station, I drive right past their building and towers on the way to work. My other vehicles can get al the way to work without switching stations, so could my 2008 with the same radio (stock 9 radio) It was removed from my '08 and put in my '09.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Wow, you'd go through all that trouble and expense just to pick up ONE radio station ??:confused:

When you're done, you might wanna take a few pics, write a letter and send it off to the station, "This Is What I'll Do To Listen To You" type of thing, who knows, it may get you on the air or at least a free T-shirt !
Mud Pie it's more of an issue than that,
Here in Orlando; we had an issue with dwindling content diversity a couple of years ago, including the lone oldies station switching formats to one that is already very well represented.
101.5 Tampa was discovered by my little brother around the time he installed Hulk Hogan's countertops in Belair. The station is always awesome, i mean 24/7.

·
Registered
2017 Passion Coupe
3,552 Posts
My own tastes wouldn't put it at "awsome" but it's passable. I just drove up I-4 from Orlando to Daytona Beach (mostly to help you identify what might be done) and found my JVC aftermarket stereo with a properly working antenna amplifier was starting to lose 101.5 as I passed the Longwood exit. The reception was fading in and out a bit with some static in the audio.

I'm wondering if at this distance you might be experiencing multi-path interference which could only be altered with a directional antenna: something I don't think is readily available for the automobile. No improvement to the signal chain through a single antenna would help a bad case of multi-path interference.

Do you have an iPhone or similar web-connected phone? Streaming their music live over unlimited web use might be a better alternative depending on your phone and network.

·
Registered
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, that's exactly what I'm experiencing on my stocker. My brother used to get a little better reception with his old '02 Frontier (even by the Longwood exit). Perhaps because his truck is higher up off the ground and can compensate for the curvature of the planet's surface, lol. Oh well, i still like the ground/earth idea the best.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts