Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, hope everyone is well.

Was driving my car a few days ago and car shut of while I was on the highway. Found out the engine warped and have no compression. Brought it to the dealership and found the the expensive $10,000 engine replacement estimate. Want to fix this the most cost efficient way. Looking for a used motor and a mechanic around the Boston Metro area. Does anyone know a good mechanic for this job and where I can get a good motor for a low price. Thanks a bunch.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, the check engine light and overheat light came on at the same time, then the car loss power 20-30 seconds right after. The dealer said it is warped, coolant and engine oil is mixed.

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
Find a older salvage smart engine. Low milage. Any good shop, that has a ASE approval, I'd choose. We've been taking our smart to one. Maintenance is why cheaper. Get a written guarantee on the work. The shop, might be able, to locate a engine for you. Many don't like there customers, to bring in basket cases. That way there can stand behind their work, in case the engine you bought in, is bad. Still be paired to spend some cash on this issues.

If you don't want to fix it cause of the cost. Donate it to the blind. It a tax right off.

Shop Locator - ASE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts