Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am ordering snow tires thru Les Schwab soon and wanted to see where I might be able to purchase separate rims for the snow tires for my 2006 Passion. Anyone have a clue as to where these 3 lug rims can be ordered from?

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
What are you guys doing about a spare? Doing without? I read that one should by the front/smaller of the two which will fit in either wheel well. I also saw some nice after market covers to keep the spare less obtrusive in the storage hatch. Buying one matching rim for the spare? :eek: :cool:

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
spare tire

What are you guys doing about a spare? Doing without? I read that one should by the front/smaller of the two which will fit in either wheel well. I also saw some nice after market covers to keep the spare less obtrusive in the storage hatch. Buying one matching rim for the spare? :eek: :cool:
I have a bottle of the fix-a-flat goop and a 12V inflater pump stowed in the space above the battery, a kit from Auto Zone that fits perfectly (they even call it a smart flat repair kit). Works the same as the OEM kit.

I have seen people with an extra mounted front tire for a spare stowed behind the driver seat. That would be great for a long trip, assuming you can afford to loose the space. I have also seen these mounted externally on the back of smart cars, looking a little like the spare on the back of some Jeeps and SUVs.

Tom

·
aka '24-42'
930 Posts
What I find strange.....
Where do all the "Steelies" go when people switch to Alloys ?
There appears to me that there is no need for an alloy as a prerequisite to having a spare.

How many perfectly good wheels (Alloy and Steel) now reside in salvage yards?

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
What I find strange.....
There appears to me that there is no need for an alloy as a prerequisite to having a spare.

This car isn't tuner material (YET), so I don't think very many folks are upgrading their rims.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Hopefully some (4) of these end up in my garage with 4 snow tires on them next winter.....

Now if we can get Nokian to make smart snowies all will be well....

·
Registered
198 Posts
I bought my steel wheels and winter tires from Fast Eddy at Flying Tiger Development in Canada. He's also advertised that he has some 'used' tires available on new steel wheels and he might even have some USED steel wheels to be used for spares.

Although I bought rims for the 451 ( different offsets) I know he also has rims for the 450 since that's where many Canadians buy theirs from.

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
450 vs 451 spare tires 101

A 155x60x15 tire rim assy is about 22.3 inches tall

A 175x55x15 tire rim assy is about 22.6 inches tall

The 450 Gen2 Smart fortwo has more "positive" offest in the front to tuck the tire a little further inside the body to give the same track as the rear tires. ET (offset in mm) without a (-) sign are positive

Front 3.5”--- ET 20.5--- 3x112.5mm---- 145/65/15
Rear 5.5”---- ET -1----- 3x112.5mm---- 175/55/15

The 451 Next Gen Smart fortwo does not have a distinctly different offset between the front and rear. They redesigned the axle locations. The net effect of this change is that now 450 and 451 rear rims are NOT interchangable. But the front rims are

Front 4.5”--- ET 23.5mm--- 3x112.5mm--- 155/60/15
Rear 5.5”---- ET 22mm----- 3x112.5mm--- 175/55/15

You must have a front rim and tire diameter for your particular car as the spare. This is because if you have a front flat the spare will not change the steering geometry and the vehicle will track safely at normal speeds.....DUH...... If you put a wider rear tire with different offset rear rim on the front the the steering will not be stable and want to significantly pull to one side

Here is what positive and negative offsets look like. (borrowed from Evilution's web site)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Kevin,
What is the price of your Rial wheels? Approx. how much would shipping be on such wheels shipped to other parts of the country?

·
Registered
3,041 Posts
What I find strange.....

mount snow tires... ebay...:)

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
Thanks for posting, Fred! Very useful information for me/us. So one can expect the cars (451) handling to become alittle squirrelly if 450 wheels are used on a 451 due to the offset differences of approx. an inch or 23mm. I think the more negative offset on the front 451 is what has made the 451 more stable than the 450. Also, using the 450 front wheel on the 451 decreases the "stance" and will also affect Ackerman angle adversely when turning, making it more unstable.....I see it all now and why they did that. I just wished they could have designed it with same size tires front and rear...even with the offsets you've shown. I guess they got into tire scrubbing problems either on the inside edge of the tire or the outside against the wheel arch lip.
Thanks again for the very informative post, Fred. You are on the ball indeed!

·
Registered
591 Posts
Slim Tire & Rim Combo

I have Rial wheels in stock in 15 inch! Ready to go!

Kevin Ingold
Smart of Georgia, Mercedes Benz of Buckhead
[email protected]
Performance Division Manager
Say Kevin, can you get the slim spare tire for us new 451 owners? Some Canadian owners cart theirs around behind their psgnr or driver's side seat. Some even put it in a tote. I really want one but I don't have any info about this slim rim and tire combo especially for the 451. Can someone enlighten him? If not, please feel free to search on clubsmartcar.com under "spare tire". If you find that you can get this for us (and it will fit on the car with our alloy wheels or whatever comes standard with a 451 passion cabrio), please be sure to provide the complete costs plus shipping to NJ.

Thanks, Regina

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
Custom wheels is also an option I am exploring

http://www.performancealloys.com/custom_wheels.asp

At Performance Alloys we offer a custom alloy wheel design service, whereby we can design you a wheel to meet your exact requirements. Below is a few designs which have been made in the past for our customers.

Features include: various offsets, paint finishes, built type (one piece, three pieces) available and well as fitments to match your exact requirements.

Past customers have even requested the paint finish to match there car

1 - 20 of 30 Posts