Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone looking to sell their manual 453? Must have low miles and be in awesome shape.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I looked at all of the manuals for sale currently online. I posted this to see if any members were looking to sell.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have owned the 1.0 manual 453 Fortwo (for 1 year so far). Just a bit of information as your interested in the manual. Its a very smooth 5 speed box, goes through the gears easily. The clutch is very light, and on LHD versions (USA/Canada) you get a foot rest to the left of the clutch pedal. If your wanting power then you should get the 0.9 turbo manual instead of the 1.0 manual. The 0.9 turbo manual has a gearstick collar that you lift up to engage reverse, the 1.0 is just put the gearstick into reverse as its a different gearbox. You do have to work the gears quite a lot on hills, but runs smoothly on motorways (highways). The 1.0 manual box combination is very quiet. Just two bad points about the manual, its leather gearknob has stitching on it and the stitch point at the top cuts into your hand, you feel it everytime you change gear, but it wears down eventually (so I have been told) :D The other bad point would not affect you, as RHD UK cars do not have much space to the left of the clutch peddle if you have big feet, as you hit the centre console (UK Size 10 shoes for me) and so I have to tuck my left foot under the clutch peddle to rest it. With the 1.0 manual I get around 50 MPG (UK imperial gallon, that's 1.2 x USA gallon). Yet 1.0 auto owners get more to the gallon, as it's a more efficient 6 speed box. Overall, I still like the manual box, its simple mechanics. Less to go wrong compared to a twin clutch auto.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello- I am confused as to why the .9 has more power than the 1.0?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I understand now- the .9 is turbo and the 1.0 is not. I do not think they sell the 1.0 in the States.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well it looks like from what you are saying, you only can buy the 0.9 turbo with manual gearbox (the one with the collar to pull up for reverse). Horsepower for 0.9 turbo is 90 BHP, and for the 1.0 here in UK is 71 BHP.

We in the UK we seemed to have far more options regarding engine and gear box, and also a choice of Fortwo (two seater) and Forfour (four seater).

PS.....Interestingly, the manual gearbox is still tied into the Smarts electronics, as if you do not go to neutral with the gearstick before starting, a warning sign comes up 'go into neutral before starting' LOL. Never seen that before in a manual car. I always had a lazy bad habit of starting a manual box with the clutch down (disconnected), without looking to see if it was left parked in gear or not. You cannot do that in the Smart or the warning sign comes up and engine does not start.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I saw this one and it is listed incorrectly. It is an automatic.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can relate when I drive my manual ‘13 Mini Cooper JCW. People think I am insane to want to sell this car and get a Smart.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I just got a 453 (auto though) I put 1500 miles on it in 24 hours...it is SUCH a good car. Good luck locating a manual, that would be fun!

·
Registered
28 Posts
It took me a long time while owning a 451, to decide on going for a 453, I think it was because it had a bonnet (hood), OK a small hood :D unlike the earlier cars with just a sloping front.

I am glad I did, as it is far superior to the 451, the cabin is bigger and wider, the suspension far smoother. All 453's come with power steering, unlike only 5% on the 451 that had optional power steering (UK market), it just seems like a well built car. Only downside is that everything like all modern cars are tied into the cars electronics and computer, even the lighting. So it complicates matters. Just have to live with that.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
I can relate when I drive my manual ‘13 Mini Cooper JCW. People think I am insane to want to sell this car and get a Smart.

I thinking why too? I’d be looking a low mileage Abarth. That’s one of our other cars. A lot more fun to drive. How many miles does that Mini have on it? Have you ever driven a smart car before?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It has 43k. I do not like how the Abarth looks. It sounds awesome however. I have driven a Smart before. I was looking at switching cars because I do not drive all that much but boy when I do—that JCW zips. I have many performance mods as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I found one!!! 2016 Silver/black with white/black interior - $6900. Super clean with 40k miles. I just hope the person knew how to drive stick properly—ahhh well, if not, looks like hubby will need to learn how to replace a clutch on a Smartie.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2016 453 manual for sale located in Delaware. About 42k miles on it. Lowering springs, blow off valve adapter, ECM module and some other bits. $7,800 OBO.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts