Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am researching SMART cars and looking to buy a passion cabriolet in the next 60 days. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
drawbacks or problems?

I was wondering what the drawbacks to owning a SMART car are and what problems I can avoid or fix early on

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
The smart doesn't work for everyone as their only car. If you don't need the extra space for hauling people or stuff, the smart is great. It's my daily driver and it's great on the commute which is 25 % local roads and 75% NY metro expressways. It's great fun to drive, at least IMO. (You really need to take one on a long test drive to see if it is for you.) The gas mileage is great and the grin factor is huge.
In almost 2 years and 20,000 miles, the only problem I've had is a faulty alarm sensor that was replaced in the first week under warranty.
But, I also have other cars if I need to haul stuff from Home Depot or take a group of family or friends along on the trip. Others have wisely suggested that if you only need to do this occasionally, you could be fine with the smart as your only car. You just rent a HD truck for a couple hours or a car from Enterprise or whoever when you need to take a group.
FWIW, I've had more fun driving and playing with this car than I have with any car since I was a teenager. (And, that's a long time and a lot of cars!)

·
Premium Member
679 Posts
went to BJs Wholesale last night with wifey. Overfilled the large shopping cart plus had the 18 roll paper towels laying on the bottom of the cart adding up to nearly $300. It was probably 2 dozen cases of bulk groceries. Went to the parking lot and put it ALL in the smart with plenty of room to spare in the back without even moving the seats. My wife uses her smart for weekly shopping and has NEVER run out of room. Recently I upgraded to a new toilet and purchased from Lowes. Slipped right in the back standing straight up as the box indicated. Wouldn't happen in alot of the trunks of those "bigger" cars.

I've only used my pickup for the 12 foot Christmas tree and the original smart body kit (all panels in one box). There are plenty of pictures on here and other sites showing the smart capacity.

buy it and you'll never look back....:)

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
I have to use my Pick up truck when I need to get Hay or Haul Poop, Other than that the car can handle up to 5 50lb feed bags in the back.

Oh, and make sure you count the seats. Believe it or not some owners came on here to complain they can't carry two people after purchasing the car.

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
Hello fellow Portlander guajataka!

Welcome to scoa and welcome to the smart family! For a new cabrio in Portland, I recommend this: perfect smart cabriolet

I saw it again today and it's a sparkling gem in the sunshine!

Suze

·
Registered
429 Posts
I was wondering what the drawbacks to owning a SMART car are and what problems I can avoid or fix early on
So, the only drawbacks I can predict are really going to be based on your personality and driving experience, not the vehicle itself.

Are you a free-spirit or do you follow the crowd? If what others think will affect you, you will get a very strong dose of lovers and haters of your choice of vehicle.

Next is the transmission. If you have any experience with a manual, you'll quickly adjust to the smart clutch-free manual. If you only drive automatics, putting a smart in "D" will not be the experience you are used to. Over time you'll adjust and learn how to make it work for you, but for those who already are familiar with manuals, putting the smart through it's gears with the right growl from the engine is pure joy!

Because I purchased mine 350 miles away, I did ask my salesperson to drive it for 150-200 miles over 2 weeks for me prior to picking it up so that if anything did need attention, it would surface before I took possession.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the repiles, folks

I cant follow the link though :-(
I am only planning to dart around town, as I am moving to downtown Portland soon. Do these cars get stolen more often than others? What about serviceing? I saw another forum where people were discussing an inability to get the vehicles serviced.

·
Banned
4,244 Posts
I cant follow the link though :-(
I am only planning to dart around town, as I am moving to downtown Portland soon. Do these cars get stolen more often than others? What about serviceing? I saw another forum where people were discussing an inability to get the vehicles serviced.
Have you been to smart center Portland? Their service is excellent! (truly, I would know!)

If you haven't been, go! And ask for Jeffery (Bowden). Tell him I said he'd take good care of you and get you the car you want.

If you're going to be downtown, I would recommend the alarm. Or get the pink one. Nobody steals a pink smart! :p

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hehehe

not sure I would drive a pink car, but if it were theft proof, maybe that is a good idea!
thanks for the referral!
~c

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
The smart is not easy to steal and since the market is still small, so is the market for a parts cars.

As many owners have learned the hard way, they keys are expensive because of the electronics involved. They keys need to be electronicly linked to the car, and with the ignition on the center console, hot wiring one of these things is not an easy task.

You even need to rotate your keys occasionally because over time an unused one will be unlearned from the computer. And if you have neither key, you will need a new brain for the car.

All that said, Get the alarm. It will also deter folks from simply messing with the car. it has motion sensors if someone tries to pick it up or reach into the car.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts