Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Driver's door doesn't shut very well. Dealer told my wife the door needed to be tightened and wants a lot of money to do it. Has anyone else done this before? Is it just a door pin like a normal car?

·
17,349 Posts
Dealer told my wife the door needed to be tightened and wants a lot of money to do it. Has anyone else done this before? Is it just a door pin like a normal car?
A lot of money? For something that could be fixed in three minutes with simple tools?

My car was delivered to me (new) with doors that bounced, rattled, and sometimes leaked in car washes. I found out that the car came from the factory with the door latches (on the Tridion Cell) adjusted in a way that didn't allow neither door to close fully.

Try adjusting the latches before selling your soul to the dealer. :D

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
I see from the Door Jamb sticker in your picture that your car was made in March of 08, which means you have the original hinge design. It was later improved and replaced with a more durable design with out the white plastic rollers. It may be a do it your self project that might not be too difficult to undertake. I believe I recall others have undertaken this project as a DIY replacement. I will have to see if I can come up with the part number for the hinges. MY driver's side hinge is starting to get a little grumbly as it is operated. I plan on replacing the hinges myself. My plastic roller is intact, but it is getting grumbly just the same.

·
Registered
6,847 Posts
I see from the Door Jamb sticker in your picture that your car was made in March of 08, which means you have the original hinge design. It was later improved and replaced with a more durable design with out the white plastic rollers. It may be a do it your self project that might not be too difficult to undertake. I believe I recall others have undertaken this project as a DIY replacement. I will have to see if I can come up with the part number for the hinge. MY driver's side hinge is starting to get a little grumbly as it is operated. I plan on replacing the hinge myself.
Neon posted that photo, of a 08. What year, is the Op's smart? Looks like a lot of work, removing panels too.
Click on link below.

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f4/problem-door-hinge-anyone-else-17435/index3.html

·
Premium Member
2,898 Posts
My '08's driver side door was loose at the point where the hinges screw into the door. IIRC, I had to take off the outer door skin to get to the bolts attaching the hinge to the door. It was a tight space but I was able to get a bit (a large torx, I think) into the bolts and tighten them. I applied a liberal coat of thread locker before tightening and it's been fine for the last year or two.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
I see from the Door Jamb sticker in your picture that your car was made in March of 08, which means you have the original hinge design. It was later improved and replaced with a more durable design with out the white plastic rollers. It may be a do it your self project that might not be too difficult to undertake. I believe I recall others have undertaken this project as a DIY replacement. I will have to see if I can come up with the part number for the hinges. MY driver's side hinge is starting to get a little grumbly as it is operated. I plan on replacing the hinges myself. My plastic roller is intact, but it is getting grumbly just the same.
Here's the number for the driver's side Door Hinge (updated) A 451 720 06 37

Hope someone else can supply the passenger side :)

·
17,349 Posts
The photo I posted was indeed a 2008 (my car is a 2012). I'm alluding the problem possibly being with the latch, and not the hinge.

If it is indeed the hinge, then the process is definitely much harder than I said it would be.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
The hinge is a known problem, that creaks, groans, squeaks and shifts the door as it pivots. The latch issue would only exhibit at the final few degrees of door closure.

·
17,349 Posts
Hmmmm...so that's why smart changed the rollers to metal...

Wonder why they were originally plastic to begin with...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Driver's door doesn't shut very well. Dealer told my wife the door needed to be tightened and wants a lot of money to do it. Has anyone else done this before? Is it just a door pin like a normal car?
What does, "doesn't shut very well" mean, exactly? Is the door hard to close? Hard to open? Does not latch properly? Door loose when opened? Door loose when latched? Door sags? What?

As for the hinge, there is no adjustment to it. If the hinge has excessive play in the pivot it must be replaced. If the hinge is loose where it is bolted to the frame or to the door it can be tightened. If the door is not adjusted properly it can be adjusted.

People post imprecise questions like this all the time expecting answers but one must first know the problem. While I do possess powers far exceeding those of mortal men, I can not read minds. :wink:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts