Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lorinser Launches Easybrid smart fortwo - autoevolution

A multitude of aftermarket companies have announced interesting development for this year’s edition of the Essen Motor Show, which will be held between November 27 and December 5. However, the piece of information that we’ve just received has to be the most unusual one.

We are going to use the names “Lorinser” and “smart fortwo”, so you’re probably expecting that we’ll present some pocket rocket. Well, things aren’t quite so: the mini vehicle has indeed received a power boost, but not in the usual way. By this we mean that the vehicle’s engine has been left untouched. But let’s get to the point.

Lorinser has created the Easybrid, an intelligent retrofittable electric hub motor, with the project being showcased on a smart fortwo. Before we start presenting the electric unit, we must mention that this is not only destined for the smart fortwo, being suitable for a broader range of vehicles.

The hub unit comes with an output of 41 hp and also allows the driver to operate the vehicle in an electric-only mode. Of course, the motor also requires the installation of a Li-ion battery package. The latter can be placed in the reserve wheel drop or under the car.

The system can be recharged using a standard household outlet and also comes with a KERS system.

Lorinser says that the development is suitable for small vehiclea and that it offers an electric-only range of 30 KM, also extending the vehicle’s overall range, increasing performance and reducing CO2 emissions. The tuner estimates the product would have a price of EUR5,000 (about $6,650), but this could drop if the authorities decided to offer subsidies for installing it.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Too cool!

Seems like a great idea only it will probably not be allowed on the roads in the U.S. Not sure why not yet but, anything that saves fuel isn't allowed here. :(

·
Registered
946 Posts
Put the battery "into the spare wheel well"? Nothing like that on the smart.

Put the battery "under the car"? That'd be a pretty tight fit on the smart...

This sort of reminds me of the old "Gee whiz!" technology stuff that you used to see in Popular Science. Each item would get a half column of text and a couple of illustrations, and most would sink like a stone once they were aired, never to be seen again.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Put the battery "into the spare wheel well"? Nothing like that on the smart.

Put the battery "under the car"? That'd be a pretty tight fit on the smart...

This sort of reminds me of the old "Gee whiz!" technology stuff that you used to see in Popular Science. Each item would get a half column of text and a couple of illustrations, and most would sink like a stone once they were aired, never to be seen again.
Behind the seats, perhaps? Not so much if the driver's tall, though.

But, an extra 41HP on demand? Nice. Bonus points if the controller logic can be synchronized with the fortwo's transmission -- no more between-gears lag!

-Rusty
'09 Passion

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Easybrid Lorinser smart fortwo

Spanish to English translation: Google

Lorinser is a strong coach who specializes in Mercedes and over time has shown he can do many things redefining the aesthetic sports car or tuning the engines to deliver more power to me. Surprisingly to mark the Essen Motor Show have moved to a small smart fortwo and have done something more daring: to make it a hybrid.

His full name is Easybrid Lorinser smart fortwo and is essentially a smart fortwo muscular on the outside but with a heart propel more powerful but less impact to the environment. Two electric motors are coupled to the rear wheels, for the first time in a lead fortwo brake discs to bring together up to a maximum of 41 extra hp.

An electronic system regulates the application of electrical energy to power the wheels independently and allows for hybridization occurs with the fortwo Brabus, reaching under the pedal to count up to 143 hp total potential. The driver can choose to move with the engine, electricity or both at once.

Gasoline or diesel engine drinks from a fuel tank and take their power from electric batteries of lithium ion hosted by underbody. Under favorable conditions the Easybrid can travel about 30 miles on a full battery recharge. This can be easily recharged via a plug located on a front flipper.

A monitor, like the Brabus installed on the dashboard shows the status of battery by means of colored diodes. The prototype also includes bumpers and a unique combination of black alloy wheels and bright blue. Electricity is blue ...
This adaptation has been developed by Lorinser in order to be practiced in more cars than the Fortwo. In fact already thought about doing the same with the Polo, the Twingo and the 500. Small cars can have more autonomy and spend less for about 5,000 euros it costs about the conversion.Using calculations can get profitable.

Source: Diariomotor.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi All. Just got my '08 Cabrio. Has anyone pursued contacting Lorinser for specifics on this system, i.e:cost, availability, ease(or difficulty) of installation, etc.?

·
Vendor
3,620 Posts
Hi All. Just got my '08 Cabrio. Has anyone pursued contacting Lorinser for specifics on this system, i.e:cost, availability, ease(or difficulty) of installation, etc.?
We have, but at this time it is not available for sale. As soon as it is available (if and when) we will offer it to the community.

We have expressed interest in this set up to Lorinser, but we want to make sure the set up will be something that will work properly and be cost effective before we make a decision. For now we have the full Lorinser Body Kit and wheels shown in the concept in stock if you want that look.

·
Registered
3 Posts
@chieftmc. I know, right? Anyone interested in hypermiling (i.e: someone who would purchase this system) would still want a tach. Plus, there's already a clock in the speedo--and I understand the two are never in synch!?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Oh, I want it. I'm just eager to find out more specifics on it from either Lorinser or a supplier stateside. I understand it really isn't scheduled for release to the public til later this year. Just trying to gather some preliminary intel so I'll be ready to pull the trigger when they're available.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts