Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I turn on the key, everything comes on as usual. Then the gauges start clicking on and off rapidly. It also does this while running. It's like someone is turning the ignition switch on and off. The lights, ac, gauges go off like you turned off the ignition. Today I had the door open when it is doing this, and engine is also cutting out as well. Like I said, it's like someone is rapidly turning the ignition on and off. Any suggestions?

Thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I forgot to mention that the traction control light comes on when this happens, along with the engine light. The SAM also clicks really loud during these episodes too. I've checked all of the grounds and battery cables, etc. Thanks again!

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Sounds like a short in the power system is dropping batt voltage That could be tough to find. Maybe check the alternator and cables (?) Start unplugging accessory fuses I would guess.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
How old is your battery? If the battery on modern vehicles is low. The dash board lights wil flicker, like Christmas ones. The car with run rough too. I’ve have 2 other vehicles do, what you describe.

·
17,472 Posts
Car's a 2015, so battery isn't likely going to be the issue. :)

I also vote short or alternator.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Car's a 2015, so battery isn't likely going to be the issue. :)

I also vote short or alternator.
Sure it can be a battery. One of our other cars, was less then 2 years old. We just had another car battery die, going on 3 years old. Just last month.

Why think the worst? Why would a alternator die, so quick. In a 3 year old vehicle? The battery would be the first thing, anybody would test. From the symptoms he described. Low voltage can cause that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts