Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Smart Fortwo 450 700cc and recently have been getting the smell of petrol inside car and it’s more under acceleration. Also on 3 occasions since the petrol smell started the car has lost power 4 times while accelerating to 70 mph on motorway. Any assistance is very much appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

I’m glad to be a part of your group and hopefully gain some good information and help looking after my wee Smart.

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,565 Posts
You may get more help on Club smart Car in Canada. They have many 450's there and the car was never sold in the US. Anyway, welcome to SCoA!!

·
Registered
9,044 Posts
...with the aid of a good light look for "tobacco stains " around the fuel rails while running..
...fuel will leave a nice track or print wherever it leaks or sits...

Jetfuel....good start I'll guess....

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
...with the aid of a good light look for "tobacco stains " around the fuel rails while running..
...fuel will leave a nice track or print wherever it leaks or sits...

Jetfuel....good start I'll guess....

I'm with Jet on this one... check the fuel rail, injectors, and try to trace it all the way to the tank. Starving even 1 cylinder of fuel will cause a severe loss of power and missfire when you're only running 700cc's.

Lift the car up and remove the underbody cover so you can see the components. Do wear safety glasses and a face mask just in case to protect your eyes, nose, lips, mucus membranes from debris, oil, leaking fuel...

And of course, follow the proper safety protocols when underneath a lifted vehicle. I take no responsibility for what others do (or don't do)...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks both of you for the assistance. I’m away for a few weeks but will have a look when I get back and I’ll update you with my findings.

·
17,478 Posts
Welcome!! :) Yeah, this one appears to be outside of my scope of knowledge of car troubleshooting.

The smell of petrol is definitely a clear indicator that some petrol is leaking somewhere.

If you don't find what you're looking for, pop the question over at clubsmartcar. Most of them drive 450s and they helped me get one of mine back on the road. :)

Reactions: 19flossy73

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am having this exact same issue right now with my 2010 Smart ForTwo Passion. After dropping the gas tank, my husband discovered a leak coming from this hose that goes from the engine to the fuel distributor rail. The leak is at the end where it's green.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts