Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My family lost both keys and my dealership told me it would cost $1810.00 to reproduce two keys; something about a sams module. Does this sound correct?

·
Super Moderator
28,295 Posts
Bad news...

Very frustrating I'm sure. According to this thread that sounds a little high. You might try calling the 1-800-smart number and seeing what they say on the price. Good luck. :)

PS - might help others to add their thoughts if they had a better location for you and could recommend other smart centers.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
Well if your including the cost of a new sams I bet that sounds right, they might even have to rekey the door and glovebox.

Does that include the flat bed towing to the dealer?
-----
That key waranty the dealer offered is looking better every day.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That did not include towing; I did that myself! I'm in SC and there is only one dealer in Charleston. There are three in NC, and I may have to tow it there.
Thanks!

·
Registered
329 Posts
That price doesn't surprise me. I have a Piaggio MP3 scooter that cost me about $700 for a key set and electronic control unit.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
I know it must be frustrating to be faces with such an expense, but my curiosity is getting the best of me, and I was wonder how you managed to lose both the keys. :(

·
Red Roller Skate
3,895 Posts
Who loses both keys? What did you swallow one and give the other to a child to play with as a toy? I just do not understand how two keys could vanish.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
To those consoling ones, my son used my car and kept a key; it got lost in transition. My wife then used my car, went to her sister's, and rode with her to a baby shower. She swears she left my only key in her sister's car, but alas, it was not to be! There is only one dealership in SC, and it's two hours from us, so I had not replaced the first key. Yuck.

·
Registered
162 Posts
People lose things all the time-wallets, glasses, cell phones, pistols, prosthetic legs, etc. Don't ride the poor guy because he had some bad luck with a set of keys. But it seems to me that they could be reproduced from the factory for a fraction of what they're quoting for the replacement price-wouldn't the codes correspond to the VIN in some way? Or, blanks could be cut and codes programmed in remotely to the dealer-It used to be the cliche that "If we can put a man on the Moon" 40 years ago...now it's "if Jack Bauer (24) can get the schematics for a building's HVAC system downloaded into his cell phone in time to infiltrate and stop the terrorists from attacking," then can't we make a key cost less than a grand and a half? If not, then everybody take a lesson and don't let the key out of your sight!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Lost Keys

Well, my sympathies. My fear is of locking the key in the car. The dealer sold me a pair of keys without the electronics that will open the car door and let you inside - but the alarm system doesn't like it. I put one of those keys in a hide-a-key magnetic holder on the car. The key without electronics cost less than $60, and that helped my angst. But my alarm system failed and prompted me to do that.
Putt-putt

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
I checked today. I can get one key/year ( up to $400.00) with the lost key insurance deal. They did tell me if I lose both I would be out of luck.

·
Registered
11,891 Posts
The options my smart center offered me were
Extended warante
Key replacment insurance
Tire Insurance
Interior protection

Lots of ways to try and make some money to pay for the new building.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts