Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lost one of the two smart car keys, 451 smart brabus, any suggestions?

i'm located in the daly city.

any suggestions would help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
just bought my 2009 passion, only had one key. from what my contacts have told me, only way is come to smart center with car and wallet open. hope your center is closer than mine, which is 200 miles away.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I have a silver brabus just like yours that only came with one key. You are going to have to take it to the dealer. They have to have your car on site with any keys you have and they will need your title. I paid about 300 bucks as I recall and it took two trips to the dealer one to prove ownership and order the parts and the other to program the keys when they came in. (major P.I.T. A.)One other thing is if you loose the only key that you have left you'll have to have the car towed to the dealer.

·
King of Smart Gadgetry
1,075 Posts
If you only got one key with your car as I did you have to go to the dealer and yes it is expensive. I was quoted $180 per key a few months back. You must prove ownership of the car and I guess they have to contact the mothership to get a special code to program your key into the Sam. If you lose both keys the Sam has to be replaced plus new keys and if I remember from reading on the forum the Sam was like $1200 + the price of keys. It's no consolation for us but they do that as a theft deterent so thieves can't easily steal a Smart and then re-key it. But there was someplace that you could remove your Sam and send it to them and they would reprogram it and provide keys and it was cheaper than the dealer. It seems like it was ikeyless but just can't remember for sure. It's on a thread here on the forum. DCO

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
According to smartcenter Charleston, (yesterday), key blades have to be ordered from smart, $27 a pop, and then there's the transmitter.......haven't had the nerve to ask about THAT cost.

·
Registered
249 Posts
When I bought my 2015 new Brabus last month, the dealer had lost one of the keys. They had to order a replacement from MB, took about 2-3 days.

·
Registered
7,098 Posts
We misplaced the second key to our smart car, 4 years ago. Pull the last clean glass out of the cabinet. The 2nd key was behind it. Been blaming my daughter for loosing it. The key has never been used, in 8 years. Now it's just a smart car souvenir.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts