Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was heading out to work and noticed the cursed blinking double wrenches on the dash. I then realized I was stopped and the trans was in 2nd, no 1st gear. As I drove around the block, it shifted to 3rd. At the next corner, there was no 1st or 2nd gears in manual or auto. I got it back home (thank god it was icy out) and parked in front of the neighbor's garage with plans of parking it inside and driving something else to work. I shut the car off and headed to get the garage door opener (neighbor is down south for the winter) When I got back and started the car, it worked fine. All the gears were there and shifted just fine. Been driving for 2 days now with no problems. No error codes, wrenches went away... Makes you say Hmmmm..

My guess is that it has been slushy/freezing rain/snow the past few days and I kind of parked on a big pile of slush overnight. I think the 1-2 shift motor got ice in it and wouldn't work right so the computer gave up on it. Once I drove a bit, it melted and everything was back to normal. Might be time for more protective grease in there.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
I was heading out to work and noticed the cursed blinking double wrenches on the dash. I then realized I was stopped and the trans was in 2nd, no 1st gear. As I drove around the block, it shifted to 3rd. At the next corner, there was no 1st or 2nd gears in manual or auto. I got it back home (thank god it was icy out) and parked in front of the neighbor's garage with plans of parking it inside and driving something else to work. I shut the car off and headed to get the garage door opener (neighbor is down south for the winter) When I got back and started the car, it worked fine. All the gears were there and shifted just fine. Been driving for 2 days now with no problems. No error codes, wrenches went away... Makes you say Hmmmm..

My guess is that it has been slushy/freezing rain/snow the past few days and I kind of parked on a big pile of slush overnight. I think the 1-2 shift motor got ice in it and wouldn't work right so the computer gave up on it. Once I drove a bit, it melted and everything was back to normal. Might be time for more protective grease in there.
Jim,

You might want to look at the clutch actuator :(

That is exactly what mine did at first ..... then was OK (for a while) and well ..... you guys know the rest of MY story :eek:

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
Wow, that up close and personal full color high definition picture of your rust bucket was, welll, down right alarming. I'm glad that is out of your system. :D must be a really nice camera.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
Wow, that up close and personal full color high definition picture of your rust bucket was, welll, down right alarming. I'm glad that is out of your system. :D must be a really nice camera.
Actually, (just looked at the old thread, I DID take those :eek:)

WhiteNBlack08 took it while he was doing the R&R on it :)

He actually got it working again

Here's my thread to refresh that old memory of your :D

http://www.smartcarofamerica.com/forums/f25/p0805-clutch-position-sensor-circuit-problem-43409/index7.html#post496109

·
Super Moderator
11,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The actuator was replaced when they put the new transmission and clutch in quite awhile ago. Been working fine for the last few days, 300+ miles and lots of shifting.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts