Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A few days ago we hit a high of 29C (84F). I noticed that when I was sitting the ED in the driveway with the AC on, that after a few minutes I heard this quite loud (fan?) sound from the front of the car. I thought something was wrong with the AC so I turned the AC off and the loud sound went away.

Turning back on the AC, the loud (fan?) sound started again after 1/2 minute. This time I let it run and it eventually stopped after about say 1 minute.

Is this some kind of battery cooling pump that uses the AC to help/assist battery cooling? The noise is quite noticeable and I can actually feel the motor vibration while sitting in the car (is this normal).

I know the ED has a few "gizmos" up front, but this loud fan/pump/whatever is quite loud and I'm wondering if it should be that loud or could it need servicing?

·
Registered
527 Posts
Yes, that's it.

There is an additional pump motor in the rear of the car for recirculation of liquid coolant around the motor, power electronics and battery. It seems very quiet, and I've only faintly detected it when heating the battery on particularly cold (-20C) days.

The front fan for the air conditioning is very loud, almost comically so compared to the quiet of the car in general. I find myself turning off the AC on purpose just to enjoy a bit of quiet those rare times I am in a parking lot "idling" (sounds funny to say that about an EV!).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts