Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I'm looking for a replacement horn for a 2002 Smart Fortwo as the current one is pathetic!

I'm after something as loud as possible but without having to install a separate compressor in the rear to make it run (like the many train horn in smart car examples on youtube).

What electric airhorn upgrades could you recommend?

Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
youtube has the horn installed on motorcycles

search on youtube:stebel nautilus compact motorcycle air horn

Very loud horns

·
Premium Member
11,309 Posts
I used a pair of electric horns from Wolo, not the air horns and it is quite a bit louder than stock. But it sounds like a regular U.S. car now. I'd like to put both horns in and add a switch to select the smart horn or the louder one.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
it's weird -- I'm thinking these really loud horns CAN'T be legal, but I'm having a tough time finding something that says they are, illegal! huh? What's up with that? I mean some of these air horns are big-train loud!

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Stebel also offers a deep 300 hz compact truck horn about the size of the nautilus two note horn. Just FYI.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Watch the Position on the Wolo Bad Boy

On 451's most have used the Wolo Bad Boy (also sold as the Nautilus) but some have gone with major noise makers from hornblasters. (I think those are compressed air powered by an electric pump but you could check their site for a purely electric one:
Train Horns & Train Horn Kits: Loudest Horns Available)
I have had a problem with moisture getting into the compressor on the Wolo Bad Boy horn. It is mounted just where the OEM horn was. The moisture rusts the armature and the current draw goes over 19 amps. The horn circuit is in a 20 amp fused circuit along with the remote door openers. It has blown a fuse or two and I plan on installing a compressor I can mount in the alcove on the passenger side and eliminating the problem. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
I've had the Wolo installed in the OEM horn position for about 3 years now without a problem. Maybe the weather is nastier in Boston than in NJ? :confused:

·
Registered
793 Posts
Hella makes a twin horn set up that we at our smart club compared to the Wolo bad boy and to the stock setup.. the Hella twin setup was much louder and quicker to blast as it is electric and not air driven. the setup has a high pitch and a low pitch horns that are placed upfront with a "Y" harness. simple install great output.
I have made huge pickups move out of the way... Priceless!

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
The Stebel Nautilus truck horn comes with an air intake tube fitting that can attach to tubing and be run into a dry location such as the passenger compartment to make certain it never ingests water. It, like the wolo, requires to be oriented in such a way that water is not prone to invade the horn or the compressor inlet. I've not had any trouble from the Wolo as yet.
It is a grand if not shrill improvement over the single OEM horn. There is a second note plastic horn available from smart. It may have been used on the roadster. I don't remember.

After an experience of using the OEM horn in an attempt to warn a truck that was wandering over into my lane only to see the guy laughing about the meep meep sound of my horn, I decided I needed something much more powerful.
I missed the 4 note horn of the Caddy that I Clunkered in on the smart.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yes, the DOT has sound level limits. With that said... in 48 years off driving I have never had the db level of my horn checked. I would say that anything considered "Illegal" is really a NON-Issue. I suggest you not pull up behind a cop and blow your horn. Pretty much a no brain-er.

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Yes, the DOT has sound level limits. With that said... in 48 years off driving I have never had the db level of my horn checked. I would say that anything considered "Illegal" is really a NON-Issue. I suggest you not pull up behind a cop and blow your horn. Pretty much a no brain-er.
don't doubt it, just surprised they didn't show up in a quick search...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers for the advice everyone - I've since ordered a Wolo Badboy.

I gather it is essentially a straight swap with the factory horn.

mvaldes did you mount it in the same position as the factory horn and use the factory wiring?

Is the extra relay supplied necessary?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,471 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Cheers for the advice everyone - I've since ordered a Wolo Badboy.

I gather it is essentially a straight swap with the factory horn.

mvaldes did you mount it in the same position as the factory horn and use the factory wiring?

Is the extra relay supplied necessary?

Thanks
I just unplugged the factory horn and removed it from the bracket. Then I put the Wolo in its place and plugged it in. No relays or special brackets required. Getting to it is the trick. It ws winter and I used the wheelewell approach since I didnt have room to take off the front end. I think BB's approach that Chief referenced would be my choice now.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts