Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Little over $20.00 for 7 days, not bad. Drove a bit over 200 miles this week. Spending less than $100 month on gas even at $3.61 per gallon. Filled up at Karen's Wildcat grocery. These gas sipping cars are great. My 1996 Toyota 4X4 truck only gets about 15 mpg.
I see lots of new 4x4 trucks on the road. Don't know how those guys afford them for daily transportation. The monthly payment would have to be at least $500 a month. Then $75+ a week for gas. That's around $800 + a month to look cool. Wow! I like being able to put in $5.00 worth of gas and drive for three days!
Reminds me again why I drive a little ole Mercedes Benz built SmartCar.

·
17,349 Posts
My mum drives a 2003 GMC Envoy XL. On a good day, she'll pull 14 MPG.

It costs her $20 to go 70 miles. When she was making payments on it, she was paying nearly $600 per month. Nope, I'll pass on that!!!

My fuel cost average is under 8-9c per mile, it's hard to beat that!

·
Registered
48 Posts
That's around $800 + a month to look cool. Wow! I like being able to put in $5.00 worth of gas and drive for three days!
Reminds me again why I drive a little ole Mercedes Benz built SmartCar.
They may think they look cool, but I KNOW I look cool in my little green Smart! :D

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
Some folks on this forum claim 8,000 miles to the gallon. I'm pleased to get 35 MPG the way I drive. Beats the EPA estimate for in town, and I have a plutonium right foot.

I filled up this afternoon, pulled in on empty. Pumped a little over 8 gallons at $4.099. $34 paid. If I don't do any pleasure driving (fat chance) that will last me two weeks. Not too shabby IMO.

·
Premium Member
10,363 Posts
I drive my little car to and from work, a 15 mile round trip. I drive it at lunch time to go out to eat, different places. I fill up with Shell V-Power. I fill up - on average - once a month. I like driving my little car.

On Weekends, I drive my Dad's car. I take him places and he prefers his car to mine. I don't mind. :)

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I actually sat down and figured it up a few months ago. Comparing my old car @ 25mpg, to my smart @ 43mpg. I actually made 1/2 of my car payments with the gas savings! How can anybody argue with that? I'm just shy of 156K miles on my smart, and I still average 43 mpg. It's the most reliable car I have ever owned. I would jump in it tomorrow and drive across the country if I needed to.:D

·
Registered
64 Posts
SnoBall just finished a 3day roadtrip through the mountains of West Virginia and Maryland. Gotta admit she loved having her revs pushed high. In appreciation, she gave me a solid 47mpg. 360 miles, 7.8 gals, $28 and worth every penny.

My wife's new Sentra sat this one out. LOL

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
~There is more to it, than just fuel economy~

First: I will say that in a few days I will have owned My Smart 5 Years...<:))
Second: I will say the Smart has paid for it self in Gas savings, discounting residual value over my other stable of cars.
Third: It has been Perfect, with ZERO Repairs. It was back to the Dealer for a software update once. Thats it...!!!...<:))
Forth: Its a Little Car with a Big Personality that Can't be Denied...!!!
Fifth: The wife (Amber) said they will have to "Pry Her Cold Dead Fingers From The Steering Wheel" before she gives up the Smart...!!!

Note: Yes, we still Like our Smart after 5 Years ...<:)) It still LOOKS better than New...!!!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts