Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1) The crash test videos are impressive, but I can't help but think that the person's legs will be smashed.

2) All major American cities rely on highways. Entering the HW at 0-60 in 13+ secs? :S

I put a reservation, but only because it was refundable. Those two issues (well, along with price of insurance, I guess) are huge for me.

Any one else feel the same?

·
Registered
264 Posts
My biggest concern involves whether to go for the first Smart car or wait for the diesel or hybrid model- which I would greatly prefer. It would be so good if the company could let us know if these other models will eventually be imported before we buy the original gasoline model.

·
Registered
465 Posts
My Smart will be for zipping around the area, meaning local driving and streets saving fuel where and when I can. We have other cars for trips requiring highway travel, although I don't have huge concerns about getting on a highway. I saw lots of 'em on the Autobahn...not in the left lane mind you, but keeping up a respectable speed to the right.

I can't comment about how I will handle 0-60 times of 13 seconds having been driving cars that are all sub 6.5 second 0-60. Those that have driven the Smart cars say that they feel faster than the actually are, and are a hoot to drive. I need to slow my butt down anyway, maybe this will be just the ticket, (pun inteneded). :D

I still have the feeling that this is going to the must have item for '08, and that you can't go wrong buying one. If you don't like it I'm guessing with what appears to be shaping us as a very limited initial market, that you can sell it for what you paid for it for quite a while after your purchase.

·
Registered
6 Posts
A while back I'd read a few articles about the safety of smaller cars vs. larger cars and the conclusion I drew is that while smaller vehicles may not have all the safety features of a larger vehicle, they are able to avoid some accidents because they are more nimble. I'm also suspect that in a smaller vehicle one is more aware of their vulnerability, so they drive more conservatively (my theory). Besides, I don't want to live my life in fear and there are no guarantees in life.

·
Registered
317 Posts
My experiences

Hey All

In any small car there is always a chance of leg injury, I had read a lot of threads about this car prior to buying one. If you would like some real life experiences check the UK and Ca forums.

Many have had accidents with them, some claim the Smart saved their lives while others claim how well the car protected them, to the best of my knowledge, I never read a thread that claimed the injuries of an accident were increased because of the Smart car they were driving.

I was going to wait till I had more stories of comments made to me about this car, but I think this is a good one for this time.

While filling up last Friday a large weathered man returns form paying for his gas, as he walks past me to his vehicle, he commented

·
Registered
465 Posts
Considering no one mentioned the leg smashing, I assume there's some truth to it? :(
I saw a video of the Smart car hitting a concrete barrier at 70mph (same video?). The results were minor intrusion into the passenger cabin, but they also noted that a violent stop like that would no doubt kill the occupants.

So, from that video I discovered, and feel much better knowing, that if I were to hit a wall at 70 or so, I would die but would look okay at my funeral.

I don't let major accidents concern me. In the 36 years I've been driving I have never had anything more than minor fender benders. I attribute this to a good defensive driving attitude and a small bit of luck, (I don't drive like a chicken either - I go like hell most of the time). I take the same attitude as my wife, (an international flight attendant) when she's asked if she gets scared about terrorist activity. She just says that if it's her time to go there isn't anything to stop it.

Do what you can to protect yourself, be alert, always keep in your mind what you'd do if you had to avoid something, and know that the probability of that major accident is low if you do all of the above.

If you're really scared, then small cars and major cities are not for you. Get an SUV and pay the price at the pump for your perceived safety.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Haha, I'm good ;)

No car is perfect, those issues just stick our for the Smart Car.

Anyway, that 60-20-60 lag comment, that's a bit of a downer. I'll rarely if ever be on the highway anyway, I was just curious.

Can't wait...

·
Registered
114 Posts
Performance and Safety

If speed is an issue, they have turbo especially developed for the Smart engine. There is a vast range of Smart car tuning accessories that offer better performance.

Even a part as small as a K+N filter can improve performance and of course you can go for a full performance and handling package.

However, the cars will get you off the ramp and on the freeway without any add-ons!

As for safety I still maintain these cars were made for and are ideal city cars, their safety side has yet to be proved on our U.S. highways?

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Testimonial from a tall, somewhat seasoned smart driver.

Sixteen months, 27,000 miles, non-stop trips from St. Louis to Hilton Head, South Carolina (800+ miles). Two trips from St. Louis to Destin, Florida (770+ each). St. Louis to Indiana. Everyday on the highway. Driver (me) at 6'-6" with headroom even under the foam roof pads of my Mercedes engine smart... and legroom that even has me moving the seat FORWARD for comfort. Folks, for most of you, if you have minor concerns, they will be swept away with the euphoria of driving this little guy. It may not be the car for everyone (SUV culture is still alive and well), but for those that appreciate fun and originality in the driving experience, get ready to live that dream. ALL of our customers provide the exact same feedback... "I didn't have any idea it would be this much fun." Whether an owner now or in 2008, the experience will be a thrill.

Ron Gaus, aSmartCar.com

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
My biggest concern involves whether to go for the first Smart car or wait for the diesel or hybrid model- which I would greatly prefer. It would be so good if the company could let us know if these other models will eventually be imported before we buy the original gasoline model.

I think the diesel would be great, but I also don't think it will be imported as Americans have always turned up their noses at them , whether they be in the form of luxury Mercedes or pedestrian Rabbits. I think it is a big oversight, as diesel technology has made quantum leaps in the past couple of decades.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Hey guy, A little reality please. The 60MPH barrier crash anyone in the Smart stand a 94% chance of being killed outright. The 30MPH barrier crash test demonstrates that serious injury or death is a 96% chance. Glancing type crashes we humans stand a better chance of surviving. I was a test engineer in another life for the DOT. I was senior engineer designing the 3MPH bumper standards. What a fiasco!

·
He's not mine
9,617 Posts
Wow, Summer of 2007 ... more than four years ago. Almost a year before I got my smart. (But, I had placed my deposit three months earlier). But, it would be another seven months before I joined SCoA. Sorry, just placing the time frame for my own sake, LOL. I guess most of the posters have moved along. Their handles don't look familiar ( a couple do).

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
Since it's already resurrected,With the smart's robust Tridon cell, you probably have more chance of getting whiplash or some other high-G related problem. There is still an issue with the low mass in an elastic collision due to the change in velocity skewed to the lower mass object, it it's it worlds ahead of the old microcar safety (nearly none).

·
OTD3 lifetime Member
2,971 Posts
Definite zombie thread. Summer of 2007, we had test drove a 2006 in April while in Las Vegas. Didn't have funds to buy so just kept looking on line and drooling.

Amazing how safety and the desire for a diesel version in the US is still being discussed. I think those will always be topics up for discussion.

Night, night zombie thread.

·
Registered
166 Posts
The low mass factor would be interesting that's for sure. I never got to crash test [slow or fast] on the SMART, but my hunch is that anything over terminal velosity 32'/s/s is a 50%/50% chance of being high injury or death to occupants.

·
Registered
210 Posts
The low mass factor would be interesting that's for sure. I never got to crash test [slow or fast] on the SMART, but my hunch is that anything over terminal velosity 32'/s/s is a 50%/50% chance of being high injury or death to occupants.
But in the mean time while waiting for that crash watch the pointing and smiles on kids and adult's faces as you drive by. My smart puts a smile on my face every night while driving to work. Great little car. Glad I own one. Mine is a 2009 and I got it when the 2010's came out. It's a fully loaded carbo that had 89 miles on it. I've had it for a year and a few months and have 31,800 miles on the clock.

I had the break switch replaced and I replaced two head light bulbs plus oil and filter changes every 5000 miles. I get an adverage of 39 mpg city and freeway driving. I drive 60 miles per day round trip to work and my wife drives it 40 per day. When I get home she's off to work in it. If you're time is up it's up no matter what you're driving or sitting in.:D

·
Registered
7,151 Posts
mikesnav, if you have concerns about the smart. No car is really safe on the highway. My smart would be the worst if hit by a large pickup, SUV or semi truck. I been driving it , 3 1/2 years on the highway. A couple close calls. More then I care for. it just takes once, and your toast. What make it worst!!!! Is NO respect of people in large vehicles. I use to get on the highway every day, with merging cars doing 60-70, wishing for another 10-15hp. It can get scary, at time. If you feel uncomfortable, get a larger car with more horse power.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts