Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think the battery on my ICE is low. Would it be OK to trickle charge it without disconnecting it.

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
How old is it? If it is an original 08 or 09. Replace it. Too risky for too many things to go wrong with a low voltage supplied to run crucial things like the transmission shifter motors, and the clutch actuator.
I personally would not want to risk damaging the starter and the alternator. They are a bear to get to. I would disconnect the battery, probably both posts just to be sure :D

·
Super Moderator
28,244 Posts
Agree on replacing if too old. If the battery is OK, just low on juice, trickle charging with a Battery Tender or similar while connected should be fine. :)

·
Registered
6,849 Posts
Why not just drive the car a little. Not good for cars to sit. We just bought a new battery, last fall for our 08. Take you car up to a auto store, and have them do a battery test. If you believe you battery weak. Low voltage on modern cars play have it, with their electronics.

·
Registered
275 Posts
You can attach a battery desulphator. Here's a link to the one I've been using for years:

Lawnmower Snowmobile Motorcycle Battery Desulfator Desulphator 6 or 12 V | eBay

I've still got the original battery in my car -- it's almost 6 year old. I hitch the car to a Deltran battery minder to keep the battery topped up when I'm not driving it. No problems with any interference from the desulphator. No problems with current delivery or sagging voltages. Yeah -- when the battery gets *really* old I'll have to replace it, but I figure I'll replace the car before I replace the battery. I think I'm going to get a 2015 to replace my 2009...

·
Registered
536 Posts
Why not just drive the car a little. Not good for cars to sit.

It's also not good for the alternator to charge a low battery by running the engine. The battery should be within the proper range before it is used to start the vehicle.

A trickle charger is fine, to correct a low battery that is low from lack of use, but should not be used for a battery that keeps going low under normal usage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts