Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if this is common knowledge to you all but I was surprised to find that the car has a low voltage battery indicator. It is not on the dash. I found this out when I was locking my Smart by remote. Instead of the turn signals flashing three times in a paced manner, they flashed very rapidly nine times. It did the same rapid flashing (instead of the single flash) when I unlocked the car using my remote. I did not realize what the car was telling me until after a week of this mysterious flashing. That's when the battery died and the car would not start. After I got a jump to start the car, it would not go into drive or reverse gear. That's when I checked the volts on the battery. It was 12 volts instead of the 13.4 it should have be. So off to Sears for DieHard. Installed a new battery and everything is back to normal.

http://smartcarofamerica.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif Who knew we had a low voltage battery indicator? I could not find this in the owners manual. Oh well.

Hlf Pnt

·
Registered
738 Posts
I'd always thought that the nine flashes were for the key fob's battery. Cheewawa was doing that the past one month, and last week, after I changed the battery cell in the fob, no more nine flashes. So, putting the two together, the 9 flashes are showing one or the other?

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
The nine flashes are telling you the battery in the key fob is on it's way out...

Right out of the manual............................

"The remote control's transmitter battery is
almost spent when the turn signals flash
rapidly nine times in a row when locking the
vehicle.
If you do not replace the transmitter
battery, after about 100 more times you will no
longer be able to lock or unlock the vehicle
using the remote control."

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
The nine flashes are telling you the battery in the key fob is on it's way out...

Right out of the manual............................

"The remote control's transmitter battery is
almost spent when the turn signals flash
rapidly nine times in a row when locking the
vehicle.
If you do not replace the transmitter
battery, after about 100 more times you will no
longer be able to lock or unlock the vehicle
using the remote control."

I agree that this post is correct (the key fob battery statement in the manual). However, after replacing the car battery (and not the battery in the key fob of which I have two) the nine flashes stopped. And, I have been using both key fobs for over a week now. Since I have not replaced the key fob battery in either key fob I have to say that the flashing MAYBE for both low voltage battery indication. After all, the car battery died after a week of the rapid flashing. The key fobs are still going and from about 30 feet away.

One more note on the matter. The nine flashes were occurring when I locked AND unlocked the car remotely. I wonder if that makes a difference in the notification.
Hlf Pnt

·
08 Cabrio Caspian Blue
99 Posts
Fascinating, as my car had been draining batteries now for sometime due to a bad head unit and the car NEVER flashed at me nine times to notify me. :(

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
One more note on the matter. The nine flashes were occurring when I locked AND unlocked the car remotely. I wonder if that makes a difference in the notification.
Hlf Pnt
The nine flashes ONLY indicates that the fob battery is getting weak.
Change the fob batteries before it's too late. Otherwise you'll have to take a trip to the dealer and let them re-code those fobs. $$$:eek:

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Often changing the battery in the car makes the SAM forget about things. It probably takes several unlocks with the FOB battery being weak for the SAM to register is and alert the user. That would prevent false positives from quick temperature changes and such, which could affect the small supply batteries in a FOB.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'd always thought that the nine flashes were for the key fob's battery. Cheewawa was doing that the past one month, and last week, after I changed the battery cell in the fob, no more nine flashes. So, putting the two together, the 9 flashes are showing one or the other?
The manual says the 9 flashes means fob battery is dying.

but on topic-ish - my smart has an over-voltage and it causes my srs light to stay on. The garage replaced the retention unit but it came back on so they said not to worry about it.

In addition, yesterday I looked at the battery and the hydrogen return valve is broken - wondering if that has to do with it and does anyone have suggestions for getting an inexpensive replacement battery?

AutoZone here is the cheapest I think at $160

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
The manual says the 9 flashes means fob battery is dying.

but on topic-ish - my smart has an over-voltage and it causes my srs light to stay on. The garage replaced the retention unit but it came back on so they said not to worry about it.

In addition, yesterday I looked at the battery and the hydrogen return valve is broken - wondering if that has to do with it and does anyone have suggestions for getting an inexpensive replacement battery?

AutoZone here is the cheapest I think at $160
If your smart truly has a over-voltage condition you should get that corrected. The vehicle electronics do not like over-voltage. And if somebody told you not to worry about the SRS light that just means they don't know what is wrong or how to fix it. Get another opinion.

I second the NAPA battery.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It has now been a couple more weeks since I replaced the car battery and not the key fob batteries. I still do not get any nine flashes. The car has been operating just fine. So I wonder if the low voltage indicator is for both battery and key fobs?

Hlf Pnt

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
I have yet to see *one* alternator fail on a smart car. Some of our cars are starting to get up there in age (2008 models), some turning 6 years old in a couple weeks so we'll likely begin to see an occasional alternator failure within the next couple years.

So far I have been impressed with the build quality of smart car alternators.

This thread about the 9 quick blinks is a false alert as it's the battery in the key fob that needs replacing. No alternator problem here so nothing to see here...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts