Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning going to work I noticed the headlights just didn't seem right. The low beam was aiming really low. Got to work and the passenger side light looked like it is aiming really low. Only thing I can think of is I hit a pot hole on the passenger side going home.... Has this happened to anyone other than lucky me?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
The first thing I would check would be the spring clip that holds the bulb and maybe the bulb itself. The adjustment system for the headlamp housing seems pretty robust. I wouldn't expect the adjustment system to be that easy to go wonky. ...just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hope you're right... will look at it when I get home tonight and get in a warm garage.
Just thinking the globe or the glass .. or whatever it is called looks like it is pointing down. Is that maintained by the spring?

·
Premium Member
5,764 Posts
The glass lens is mounted in the lamp assembly. The bulb is held into a receptacle by the spring. If the glass with the cutoff has moved or shifted in the headlamp itself, you might be looking at cracking open the headlamp to reposition that in its proper home. A lot of folks have opened their headlamp assemblies to paint them on the inside such as to black them out, etc. You have to warm them in an oven to get the adhesives to release. I've not done that, so we will have to wait for an experienced provider to chime in here on that one.
The next question is , are you in or out of warranty? If in, the dealer will replace the defective headlamp. If out, you may be able to fix the headlamp assembly. If the dealer replaces it, I would keep the old one and try to fix it in case you need a spare in the future, as they are quite expensive to purchase. I would expect they are available on E-bay.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is under warranty as it is only a few months old. Will have to check tonight. Thanks!

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I got home and took a look and the who bulb assembly moves up and down freely. Has anyone had this experience and have any suggestions? Is this a dealer trip?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts