Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

For those of you looking for an inexpensive alternative to the aftermarket this is what I came up with. Here is a list of components and prices.

Parts List
1 - DAYCO hose # 71593 fits 92'-96' Dodge Dakota lower hose $14.69
4 - Hose clamps @ 1.23 $4.92
1 - 1 7/8" O.D. x 1 3/4" I.D. x 1 1/8" long Exhaust Tubing $2.00
22" - 7/16" I.D. Gas Line & 2 hose clamps $4.10
1 - 7/16" Hose Barb Fitting $4.00
TOTAL $29.71

Tools needed... Razor blade knife, Drill with drill bits, Time

As you can see from the picture the crankcase is vented directly into the airbox.

BARNEY O

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
As you can see from the picture the crankcase is vented directly into the airbox. BARNEY O [/QUOTE said:
...looks good rubble...glad to see you went the vented way...
...even though we know you can gain some HP by venting somewhere else is nice to see you kept it clean...

jetfuel....breathing clean for now

·
Registered
217 Posts
Looks good ,neat idea to revent into airbox and the price is right. What
kind of performance increase did you get from this modification.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Congratulations. You definitely earned some style points for taking your idea from concept to completion!

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Looks good ,neat idea to revent into airbox and the price is right. What
kind of performance increase did you get from this modification.
No hard core data to pass along as I throwed this together just a few days ago and did a small alteration to keep the enviromentalists happy.
Will pass along info as it develops. If nothing else the car is lighter from removing that ugly looking resonator box and "Jetlag" is right, removing that box intac is a b_____ !!! Also there is more space to get air thru engine compartment and best of all it's alot easier to change the air filter:D

BARNEY O.

·
Premium Member
1,098 Posts
Looks good... Now all you have to do now is add this to take advantage of your MOD...

SMART PERFORMANCE CHIPS
http://www.performancechipsdirect.com/Smart/

I cannot stress this any more, do NOT fit one of these.
Just fools the car into thinking the inlet air is colder so increases fueling.
Because the air isn't cool and as dense as it thinks it actually over fuels the engine. Not a good way to attempt to increase power.

Barney - nice rehash but I wouldn't have vented to the airbox. Condensed oil could drip onto the filter and reduce its filtering ability.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Welcome to the 21st century where snake oil is put in a box with a knob on it. Pt barnum said it best[ there is one born every minute ] B0b.

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Here's the deal!

Originally I had placed a breather on the end of the barb that protrudes from end of engine valve cover. I didn't want to contaminate the air fuel charge with crankcase vapor.As you know this recycling thing is good for emissions but not so good for max H.P. Same thing holds true for EGR (exhaust gas recirculation).You burn't it once, why run it thru again!!
Because emission regulations dictate so. With this said, I purposely redirected the crankcase ventilation hose to the air cleaner box for 2 reasons: (1) With the inlet location on the aftermarket hoses and stock airbox for the crankcase hose there is a stronger draw or vacuum at that location. Resulting in higher levels of air & fuel charge contamination:eek:
No! No! don't want that, we are trying to find power not kill it!!!!
(2) I'm compliant with emission regulations this way.

As for drippage on the filter I have allready logged 400 + miles on this design and no signs. But, as the engine gets older I could see blowby increasing to the point where it might. I change filters way too often anyway and most people that are looking for that performance edge do also.Besides I would rather deal with a few drops of oil in my air filter than sucking it thru the intake and robbing me of POWER :D:D:D

That's my 3 cylinders worth , Barney O.
Speaking of evolution, air filters in my younger years were oil bath

1 - 20 of 191 Posts