Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have a clue? In dealer inventory in 2012 then sold by Mercedes at auction 16 months later with very low mileage?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts
Anyone have a clue? In dealer inventory in 2012 then sold by Mercedes at auction 16 months later with very low mileage?
low mileage corporate 2013 smart fortwo, sold at auction?

"2013 that was in dealer inventory in 2012"

Weak storyline with few details, no VIN # - could be told for most any marquee.

What made this a "corporate" smart fortwo? Can you quantify "very low mileage."

M-B Finance likely has sold more than one low mileage smart at auction . . . :shrug:

·
Registered
109 Posts
What is strange about that? US car dealers frequently have corporate cars for sale. Salesmen called them "Brass Hats" because they were driven by the brass at corporate for a few thousand miles. This could be the same kind if thing.

·
17,350 Posts
I don't think very many people who work for smart or sells smarts actually drive them.

Shoot, the Brand Manager of the smart centre I got my car from drives a C300 4Matic...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Vehicle manufacturers and zone offices routinely auction cars to dealers. They can be cars driven by company officials or lease returns, for example. They periodically send a list of cars to the area dealers and the dealers bid on them and when acquired sell them as used or company official cars.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A. It turns out the car in question was actually a BUYBACK. Under 1K miles.
But still with three years of warranty. The buyback doesn't show up on the Carfax (because it was voluntary?).

B. It turns out it's rather easy to find very low mileage Smart's that have been used as dealership Courtesy Cars. Some with 1-6 thousand miles. Sometimes slapped with CPO warranties.

My first reaction to either of these is something like... Yikes!

But maybe I'm naive? Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Well, I may be the exception to the rule? (I usually am).

I work at my smart center (part time) BECAUSE I drive a smart and am a fierce proponent of the brand?

Although, neither the Full time salesman or the manager at my smart center drive smarts?

·
Super Moderator
28,241 Posts
A. It turns out the car in question was actually a BUYBACK. Under 1K miles.
But still with three years of warranty. The buyback doesn't show up on the Carfax (because it was voluntary?).

B. It turns out it's rather easy to find very low mileage Smart's that have been used as dealership Courtesy Cars. Some with 1-6 thousand miles. Sometimes slapped with CPO warranties.

The smart CPO program is similar to the M-B program. You get a warranty extension plus a car that has been gone over thoroughly and brought up to spec if needed. Good way to pick up a smart or M-B at reasonable prices, IMHO. :)

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts

Thoughts, yes you may be a bit naive?

CarFax lists only what was reported and sometimes even that is inaccurate!

Dealer selling a low mileage Courtesy Car or a rental car happens with ALL manufacturers. Unless you bought it without full disclosure - Don't Worry, Be Happy . . .

As with ALL Previously Owned Vehicles - Let the buyer beware!

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts

Although, neither the Full time salesman or the manager at my smart center drive smarts?
Yes, wrumbarger you are indeed the exception but in a most refreshing way! Would love to see you and our friend Neon in the great smart debate - what a wealth of knowledge!

This is a smart onion begging to be peeled!

That the brand manager and FT salesman (in most Centers) don't drive a smart only serves to weaken the brand . . .

·
17,350 Posts

I work at my smart center (part time) BECAUSE I drive a smart and am a fierce proponent of the brand?

You, Kamaal, and trooplewis. You three are part of the exception. :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Getting the thread back on track here, does anyone else owner a car that was a loaner, courtesy, demo vehicle? Would you? Say if it had circa 2K miles?

·
Premium Member
7,593 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I believe our 2011 fell into this category.

We bought in September of '13 with just under 4000 miles from Atlanta Classic Cars (big Benz dealer). We knew it had been wrapped as a rolling ad and parked. I was trying to find the "in service" date for the car and spoke with the guy at Atlanta Classic who buys all their used inventory. He said he bought from an auction. It was the first Smart they had dealt with and it was barely in their inventory long enough to list it.

They peppered me with all kinds of questions about how I liked it and such. I think they would do it again if the opportunity presented itself

1 - 17 of 17 Posts