Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the other day my 09 smart failed to start. it cranked, actually cranked after i touched the key just once, but wouldnt "catch". i tried this three or four times. i opened the engine compartment and checked the oil, it was low. i had half a quart from last oil change, and dumped it in. after another try, it started and ran fine. my question is, on our cars, is there a sensor that that will stop the car starting if oil is too low:confused:?? 09 smart passion w/47,000 miles....... thnx for any help.....

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Simple answer is no. Especially half a quart.

I have had two occasions where my smart did the same thing. Cranked but didn't start. Both occasions it had set for several days. Second try it started. I don't think it's really anything to worry about.

Oh, and by the way, all you ever have to do is "flip" the key to start it. You don't have to hold it until it starts.... It runs the cycle automatically...

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, it was a quart low, and we only have 3.5 in the pan. i knew about the key, but it when didnt start, it cranked "on its own" for several seconds...kinda freaky. i know big trucks wont run if low on oil, the have a self preservation system.

·
Registered
11,472 Posts
I had the same thing happen a couple of years ago. smart sat outside, pointing downhill and would not start in the morning. Tried it 3 or 4 times....waited .... STARTED :D

No problem since :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts