Smart Car of America Forum banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I thought the new front suspension was pulled from a Merc C-Class. So Renault has nothing to do with it not working correctly.

It is just more poor engineering/lack of safety testing from M-B. At least it doesn't flip over like the first A-Class.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Thanks for posting, and to make it worthwhile for myself and a lot of others, please translate. :)
Evidently they are having an issue with the cars pulling to the right on heavy braking when only the driver is aboard (which means the left and right sides of the car are unequally weighted). It makes more of a difference in the new model than the old one, because the new model is wider, which increases the lever-arm that the unequal left-right weighting has to make the car turn.

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
Something is going wrong ...
Let's put smart sales in Germany into a meaningful context. Some here might enjoy an upbeat report about smart sales in Germany:

http://www.best-selling-cars.com/germany/2015-q3-germany-best-selling-car-brands-and-models/

For 2015, smart is showing the greatest growth of any OEM sold in Germany, with a 67% increase compared to the prior year, and a 1.2% marketshare. (More than one of every 100 new cars sold in Germany is a smart.)

Something must be going right.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
@ stevenvillatoro:

Why 67% increase? Only because of the new 44. But this car isn't selling very well in it's segment at all. His cheaper "brother TWINGO" sells 30-40% more every month.

Focussing on the sales figures of the 42, the increase is only 1% - and this is, compared to the figures of the "dismissed" 451, more than a joke!

·
Registered
912 Posts
The forfour and the Twingo come off the same assembly line in the same plant. The dealers might care which way the sales balance goes, but the plant won't. As long as the total of the two together is enough to keep the plant going, it's all good.

Personally, if I were in europe and looking to buy a small car, the Twingo would be higher on the list than the forfour, purely because I think it looks much better.

·
Premium Member
7,615 Posts
Odd agenda?

From across the pond, Chicken Little (Schaefca) continues to singlehandedly "wish" smart out of business...

81 - 96 of 96 Posts