Smart Car of America Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
FWIW I just painted my whole car. I wanted to color match the valences at the same time. The first one I skimmed with glazing putty to remove the texture, but the texture is so fine on them that on the next one I tried just using 4 coats of high build primer. When it dries it will look like the texture is still there but a few minutes of wet sanding with 600 and they were smooth.

As others have said removing them is pretty simple, clean them very well then prep and paint, I had no issues at all and spent less than $100 to paint the whole car in single stage acrylic, granted its a cheaper paint but it looks good and it was affordable. Of course if you dont have the equipment to spray your own then that is an added cost.
Sounds good but, ... pictures or it didn't happen. :D

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
To be fair, though, some of us gave him a lot of heat... I disliked many of the things he said as much as the next guy, but I was honestly surprised he stuck around as long as he did with all the flak he got...
Quite true, alot of us (including me at times) can get rather brutal. Hopefully it's a learning experiance and we all move on in a better direction......:)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The dealer called and said I could order the 4 panels in Met Silver and the gas door for a reasonable price. I asked to include the extra mounting piece for the side panels. Some parts are in the USA and some are not.

I'm in no hurry, so we shall see when they all arrive. I do think it will update the look of the car.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'll have to say, that was the best money I have spent on my smart car....looks like a completely different car.....WOW. When I am able to take some pics, I will.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Agreed, cosmetically it is the best bang for your buck you can do. Makes the car look 'not so cheap'. :)

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
I sent an e-mail to smart online parts for a set of lower panels. Ann said she was checking into it, but I haven't gotten a quote yet.

·
Lifetime Member
11,307 Posts
Wow! FWOIII - that looks great with the chrome accents. :bigthumbup:

WNB - I was soooo lucky on my dad's car. Someone had a white edition and they didn't like the white skirts and told me they wished they had black. I said, "Call me Genie, your wish is my command.". :)

·
Registered
77 Posts
You guys can always get the skirts, front lip and rear lip vinyl wrapped! :cheers:

That's what I shall be doing to mine this weekend.

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
Wow! FWOIII - that looks great with the chrome accents. :bigthumbup:

WNB - I was soooo lucky on my dad's car. Someone had a white edition and they didn't like the white skirts and told me they wished they had black. I said, "Call me Genie, your wish is my command.". :)

I never get lucky that way. Actually, I have a decision to make, lower panels or new rims. Can't do both this year. I'm leaning hard to new rims. Tire Rack is having a killer sale on SM3's, and I need new tires this spring anyway. Besides, the wider tires will be awesome for running the Dragon in August!! :burnout:

21 - 40 of 42 Posts