Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had hoped to trade our 2013 Pure in for a 2016, but Smart did not want to work with me and we were over our miles. I have upgraded the stereo, put in a cat back and cruise control with speed booster. I am considering on installing lower springs. I had heard that allowing more travel for the shock, makes the ride much smoother. Would love to hear feedback on this upgrade. Is it worth doing? Can you just to the rear or should you also do the front? The front install seems a little more involved.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,710 Posts
Our 2008 cabrio wears Eibach springs and though the ride may not be smoother, handling is improved and the hobby horse rocking with shifts is gone.

I'd install on 4 corners and you will need a front end alignment.

·
Registered
912 Posts
If you really want to make a difference, put in the whole Bilstein B14 coil-over suspension kit. (I have it in my car.)

Changing just the rear springs doesn't fix the too-soft front springs and the too-soft damping, which is why your car is whacking the bump stops all the time, which is a lot of why it rides rough in stock form.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Our 2008 cabrio wears Eibach springs and though the ride may not be smoother, handling is improved and the hobby horse rocking with shifts is gone.

I'd install on 4 corners and you will need a front end alignment.
There's no reason to do a front end alignment. Nothing that you will be removing has any adjustment whatsoever.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,710 Posts
There's no reason to do a front end alignment. Nothing that you will be removing has any adjustment whatsoever.
Could be true BUT, with the R&R of front & rear suspension parts combined with the new springs lowering the height - I opted for an alignment.

YMMV? :shrug:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts