Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After my Smart made it through its first production year with fewer warranty problems than my other first year vehicles (G35 Coupe & Expedition SUV) it was time for some customization.

Thanks to the guys at Smart Madness, a bunch of boxes came with Genius wheels, their own line of progressive rate springs, a silicone air intake, and high capacity dry filter element. Finally a Breathless V3 Touring pipe was found through the forums.

Here she is in her original Silver panels. Next up is installation of 09 Grey panels plus window film and the Breathless air baffle "silencers" to make it sound less boy racer.

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
Yeah but the regular tires will give a better ride with the springs... and he still gets the look.

Good setup.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Looking and sounding good indeed!

I've been thinking about those shocks. Do you notice a performance difference with them over the regular shocks? If so, how so? Thanks.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Also, San Francisco is full of potholes, and the 18's on my Infiniti have lost a couple sidewalls through them by getting torn. So keeping the 15's not only fit the budget, but the ride and cushioning as well. Besides, the crash characteristics for the Smart want 15's up front (hence Brabus using mixed sized wheels) as part of the crumple zone.

As for the springs (I kept the factory shocks) the rears are much larger in "gauge" or diameter, and the fronts are matched, but stiffer. It is a harder ride, but I will take that over the "porpoising" that the car used to do with the 1.0 firmware and still a little bit with the 2.0 code.

If you like to take corners fast, or have the hills in your city like I do, it's nice to have the wheels firmly planted on the ground, and I can definitely feel it.

Now I am debating moving the stock rear tires up to the front, and putting 195X50's on the back which should preserve the speedo (mostly to keep milage numbers correct without re-gearing) and put a bit more meat on the ground.

I've been thinking about those shocks. Do you notice a performance difference with them over the regular shocks? If so, how so? Thanks.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts