Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to figure out what I want to buy myself for Christmas :D

I have added the Brabus 17"s front and rear with slightly taller than stock tires 205/40/17 on all four corners, I have also added wedges ( very happy with all of these changes )

I REALLY like the way my smart looks EXCEPT I would like to lower the rear a LITTLE so that the gap around the rear tire to fender matches the front.

I DON'T want to destroy the ride or handling. :smartje.zw.zw:

Since I am VERY happy with the Brabus suspension, I am a little hesitant to mess with it. I really don't want do anything to the front suspension.

I am also concerned if I have enough rear fender clearance now that I do not have negative camber in the rear.

For those that have modded their smarts ride height, what are my best options.:confused:

Attachments

·
Registered
9,213 Posts
...couple of years back I wanted to lower the rear only to match the front and was advised not to by the Ca guys that do these cars for a living... any changes to the OEM suspension will not give you that Brabus feeling....unless you go big $$$$ with a complete set of coil overs....

Jetfuel...my 2........water/meth for Christmas....

·
Registered
318 Posts
I lowered the rear only and I have no complaints.

The car sits more level (yes, more level) but still slightly higher in the rear, the car handles better in corners, less rock on acceleration, better handling at high speed, is supposed to help reduce front tire ware and a few other claims I can vouch for.

You can't compare this to a set of Bilsteins, but for $150... I feel much more comfortable playing around in corners and at higher speeds.

I do recommend the rear spring set upgrade for the daily driver who likes to play around occasionally, wants a tighter ride and doesn't want to drop $1000... right now.

I do suggest adjusting the headlights after a few hundred miles of drivin' on the new springs.

Ohh and it only took an hour to do the whole project. No need for special tools or spring compressors.

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
And.....,
the Brabus he wants to lower, is already lowered, and has Bilstein shocks to boot. The springs on the Brabus are an interesting spring with a polymer sleeve over part of the spring. I'd guess for damping purposes.
ATL smart Aleck, if you sprung for springs, and didn't like the new ride, you could always swap them back and sell the springs as slightly used. :D
You could either stop lookin at that fender well on the rear, or add a small piece of fender well trim under that Brabus applied fender trim to close that gap.... (What gap? It's Brabus perfect!)
But knowing you like I do, go for the springs, you won't be happy until you do... :p Just check to be sure the new springs will lower it more than the stock Brabus springs. You don't want to create a dragg-in smart. (Twist that as you may. :p It might add swish to the rear end and then you would have to apply those great big eyelashes around the head lights and a red smile! That would be way too much Betty Boop) :D
p.s. I thought that down hill slope effect always made the car look like it was going faster, like it was rolling down hill, even when standing still. It's compensating for that 3 mile per hour exaggeration designed into the speedo by MB engineering. :p
I tried to add Betty Boop here for those of you who are too young to remember her, but the image wouldn't import. Google her! Her ending tag line was always Poop poop E Do!

·
Registered
660 Posts
DON'T want to destroy the ride or handling.
Lowering the rear without shorter shock bodies decreases travel, you WILL hit the bumpstops. This ruins the ride and worse will ruin your day when you bend those $$$ Brabus wheels.

Really don't want do anything to the front suspension.
This will ruin handling. Lower ride height necessitates higher spring rates -- need to maintain factory ratio front to rear.

What are my best options?
Bilstein C/Os. Dampers matched to spring rates won't ruin ride. Shorter shock bodies to maintain travel. Can set front to stock height. Sportive but very comfortable. Factory fitment on Brabus ultimate.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Short Springs

You might want to consider "3 guyz" rear springs @ about $150 delivered - they are progressive wound springs that lower the smart ~ .75" from stock.

Your Brabus springs are already ~.4" lower than stock, so your net should be ~ .4" after they "settle". Subtle, but noticeable and you shouldn't have any shock/travel issues.

All the best -

George

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,826 Posts
When my big, fat butt is in my car, it sits just right. I can tell by driving by large glass windows. It still has a slight rake, but it is lower in the rear when I am in it. So either buy new springs, or patronize more "all u can eat joints". :D

·
Registered
168 Posts
These are the 3guyz springs

Apparently Boris has struck a deal with these folks. I went to the site to double check the price and they are no longer "available" from 3guyz.

The instructions and description (with the exception of the "smartmadness" addition) are identical to the set I purchased from 3guyz.

This is a quality product, but a few of the claims are not readily "provable".

·
Premium Member
5,763 Posts
Pretty cheap fix for 150 clams if the Smart Madness 3Guyz springs work out. Especially if they do everything they say they will do. Probably even increase gas mileage by 50 per cent. :p

·
Registered
318 Posts
I purchased the 3 Guyz rear spring set before it became Madness only and luckily they are LoCaL!!!!
I was excited about that.

The Smart Madness rear spring set is the 3 Guyz rear spring set and I'm 100% happy with them.
Everything they claim is true.

One of the easiest, cheapest and best upgrades that can be installed on our cars.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The problem I have run into with my Brabus is there is not much (if anything) out there that will lower the rear of the vehicle more than the Brabus Spring Drop already is (confirmed with Madness)...so it's a waste of money to buy any lowering spring kit, as they will be at the same height that the Brabus Spring is already at (or be negligible at best). So buying a set of lowering springs would only work on a stock height/spring Smart to get the desire look.

Only choices I have found is to go Coil Over OR cut 1 coil out and heat/bend the remaining portion inwards to follow the original "beehive/football" shape for fitment ~ but then you run into having a suspension component that is not at the correct matching spring rate which will affect the ride quality (which I do not want to sacrifice). The last option would be to have a specific set custom made that are the same Spring Rate but @ the desired ride height from a place like Swift Springs (or similar).

Personally I really want to ditch that "raked" look...I cannot stand it...I much prefer a properly stanced & fitted vehicle compared to an outdated 1970's Muscle Car look.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You would always want the car to have a little rake, plus, once you're sitting in the car, your body weight will lower the rear of the car, eliminating most of that gap that you see when no one is sitting in the car...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts