Smart Car of America Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
The problem I have run into with my Brabus is there is not much (if anything) out there that will lower the rear of the vehicle more than the Brabus Spring Drop already is (confirmed with Madness)...so it's a waste of money to buy any lowering spring kit, as they will be at the same height that the Brabus Spring is already at (or be negligible at best). So buying a set of lowering springs would only work on a stock height/spring Smart to get the desire look.

Only choices I have found is to go Coil Over OR cut 1 coil out and heat/bend the remaining portion inwards to follow the original "beehive/football" shape for fitment ~ but then you run into having a suspension component that is not at the correct matching spring rate which will affect the ride quality (which I do not want to sacrifice). The last option would be to have a specific set custom made that are the same Spring Rate but @ the desired ride height from a place like Swift Springs (or similar).

Personally I really want to ditch that "raked" look...I cannot stand it...I much prefer a properly stanced & fitted vehicle compared to an outdated 1970's Muscle Car look.
My personal taste for my car is to sit level. Since I have switched to the Brabus rears all around, the fronts fill the wheel opening so well, that the gap around the rear tire bugs the crap out of me !
Everything that I do to my smart is reversible, so I would like to swap springs vs modifying my original springs. I thought about lowering the Brabus flares by creating a spacer, but the rocker panel would still not be level. I guess I could raise the front a little, but afraid of handling issues. When I was a teen, I used the coil spring spacers that look like muffler clamps to clamp coils together to adjust the ride height on a Corvair. I don't think there is enough room to do that on a smart.

·
Registered
52 Posts
It's funny you should bring up Betty boop.When I got my car went to buy floor Matt's to put overu brabus Matt's and got Betty Boop.Im waiting on a guy to do a Air brush of her on my car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
My personal taste for my car is to sit level. Since I have switched to the Brabus rears all around, the fronts fill the wheel opening so well, that the gap around the rear tire bugs the crap out of me !
Everything that I do to my smart is reversible, so I would like to swap springs vs modifying my original springs. I thought about lowering the Brabus flares by creating a spacer, but the rocker panel would still not be level. I guess I could raise the front a little, but afraid of handling issues. When I was a teen, I used the coil spring spacers that look like muffler clamps to clamp coils together to adjust the ride height on a Corvair. I don't think there is enough room to do that on a smart.
go down the route of adjustable suspension. Not exactly cheap but will certainly solve your issue!

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am trying to figure out what I want to buy myself for Christmas :D

I have added the Brabus 17"s front and rear with slightly taller than stock tires 205/40/17 on all four corners, I have also added wedges ( very happy with all of these changes )

I REALLY like the way my smart looks EXCEPT I would like to lower the rear a LITTLE so that the gap around the rear tire to fender matches the front.

I DON'T want to destroy the ride or handling. :smartje.zw.zw:

Since I am VERY happy with the Brabus suspension, I am a little hesitant to mess with it. I really don't want do anything to the front suspension.

I am also concerned if I have enough rear fender clearance now that I do not have negative camber in the rear.

For those that have modded their smarts ride height, what are my best options.:confused:
Hey! We actually have such a kit
smart car Lowering Spring Set by (Rear Only)

·
10Year+ Supporting Member
3,825 Posts
...that's odd and in a way kind of funny since you guys were the one that advised me NOT to just lower the rear only 'cause it will adversely affect handling...or was that just a sales pitch to push the whole set up?

jetfuel...go figure....
They also told me there was no way to run 17" Brabus wheels on the front of my smart. Been doing it for over a year with no issues. :confused:

·
Registered
105 Posts
...that's odd and in a way kind of funny since you guys were the one that advised me NOT to just lower the rear only 'cause it will adversely affect handling...or was that just a sales pitch to push the whole set up?

jetfuel...go figure....
We like to supply as many different products as possible, and we do give our advice on them. But in this case I just wanted him to know that there is an option to buy rear springs only.

·
Registered
9,210 Posts
...yes you do offer a wide range of products...yes you give your advise on such products...but in this case the product offering came without the "advise" that it will adversely affect handling...

jetfuel....know what I mean Vern????

·
Premium Member
1,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I am at a dead end at this moment.

I have raised and lower cars for the visual effect in the past, with no real problems. I don't want to slam the suspension, just mildly lower the rear. I am only talking about a inch or so.

I obviously don't want to spend $1,000 + dollars to replace an already excellent handling suspension. I also do not want to replace just the rear springs if it is going to adversely effect the handling, or make the ride unbearable, or give it more of the porpoising effect on shifts.

So, at this point, I guess I will think about it a while longer.

Is there anyone that has lowered a BRABUS smart. If so, what did you do, and what was the effects? :confused:

·
Registered
47 Posts
why not just go with springs all around.

there's plenty of owners in the UK (Evilution being one) who is running aftermarket springs along with oem brabus dampers and have not reported back with any issues.

As stated before, my brab has been lowered and the car handles like nothing I'd imagine from a smart. Yes there is the tradeoff with ride comfort but it was worthwhile for me.

Are you near anyone with a 451 that has been lowered in anyway? As a point of reference for you?

·
Registered
660 Posts
Is there anyone that has lowered a BRABUS smart. If so, what did you do, and what was the effects? :confused:
H&Rs on mine. Had the Bilstein c/os on for a while too.

Not sure I would recommend springs only without shorter shock bodies with factory wheels. You will bottom out. At approx 20k miles when I swapped out the Brabus wheels, one rear had 4 lip bends and the other 6. :eek:

From my research, H&R cup kit(Euro availability only) and Bilstein c/os have shorter rear shocks. Probably also the KWs.

If even gap is your goal, no springs will get you there, all will have different height front-to-rear. H&Rs are probably closest and there is still approx. 1" differential.

Also need to consider probably no room for front c/o adjustment collar with 7.5" 33mm offset wheels. Will need spacers or to narrow inside of wheels.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Just to add a little confusion to the mix ~

While installing my Add-A-Spare last week I had to remove a specific bolt/item (labeled the Suspension Yoke) to mount the carrier between it and the frame.

While doing so I had to remove the bolt and pull down on the Yoke itself to insert the frame mount to then re-insert the bolt...anyway when I did that, this lowered that corner of the car I was working on. When I noticed that action I pulled down on the Yoke a few times and the car would lower as I did so.

So I made a mental note and checked it did the same on the other side and the same happened. Later, after the install was finished I noticed the back half of my Brabus was every so slightly lower than before the install...was this because the mount was inserted between the Yoke and the Frame or was it because of the added weight of the carrier & rim + tire?

Either way here's what I have been thinking about this past week ~ would it work if a lowering block was made to be used in conjunction with a longer grade 8 bolt to be inserted between the Yoke and the frame? Would it affect the suspension in any way? Is it pre-loading the suspension incorrectly? Are there any other things that can or are be affected by this?

If I get some free time this weekend I am going to experiment with this and try to take some video of exactly what I mean (unless Jetfuel beats me to it or has some more insight to this)

Oh and if this evolves into a new way of lowering our vehicles I want compensation for the discovery/idea/invention! LoL!

...no really I want some dough! :p

·
Registered
136 Posts
Could that slight lowering come from the weight of the spare tire carrier?
I added that to my comment as a possibility but I still question/come back how the physical action of pulling down on the Yoke lowered each side of the rear end as I did so....

21 - 40 of 45 Posts