Smart Car of America Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Lowering the "yoke" as you refer to will not impact the ride height... The springs and gas filled shocks determine the ride height in this case..
Can you explain the physical action of the suspension lowering when I pulled down on the Yoke then? And how putting in a spacer can possibly have the same effect? Plus if there are any negative attributes of doing so?

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Can you explain the physical action of the suspension lowering when I pulled down on the Yoke then? And how putting in a spacer can possibly have the same effect? Plus if there are any negative attributes of doing so?
The yoke or crossmember is attached to the subframe at the left and right ends.
In the center of the crossmember there are 2 trailing arms that are attached and run to each end of the DeDion tube. The configuration looks like an " X" brace..
When you pushed down on the yoke (crossmember) where both ends free from the subframe or did you do one end at a time?
The function of this whole assembly is to act as a track locator for the Dedion tube and a somewhat anti sway control mechanism...
I have my yoke lowered with 1/2" spacers to clear some turbo plumbing and all I can tell you that it alters the roll center of the car but didn't lower the ride height and no handling issues that I can tell or feel...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I lowered the rear only and I have no complaints.

The car sits more level (yes, more level) but still slightly higher in the rear, the car handles better in corners, less rock on acceleration, better handling at high speed, is supposed to help reduce front tire ware and a few other claims I can vouch for.

You can't compare this to a set of Bilsteins, but for $150... I feel much more comfortable playing around in corners and at higher speeds.

I do recommend the rear spring set upgrade for the daily driver who likes to play around occasionally, wants a tighter ride and doesn't want to drop $1000... right now.

I do suggest adjusting the headlights after a few hundred miles of drivin' on the new springs.

Ohh and it only took an hour to do the whole project. No need for special tools or spring compressors.
So what rear springs did you use please .

41 - 45 of 45 Posts