Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
I'll figger this car out
354 Posts
15 mm

Len
Hello Tom,
Len is absolutely right that the original ones are 15mm. However, I have found others that are 17mm on vehicles. I stopped at a mall in Illinois where I saw a smart car, a 2012 451, which a gentleman had bought. We talked and I noticed that his lug nuts were bigger than mine. He could only say that these were on the car when he bought it.

To save yourself time, money and aggravation, suggest that you consider having a 1/2" breaker bar, one 3-6" extension and a small set of 1/2" drive sockets from 13mm-19mm. They will fit all the bigger fasteners in the car, don't take up a not of room and will make tire removal easier.

Obviously, if you are planning to take off tires and presumably have a spare, you might want to read about that in other forum threads so that you find a compact screw jack to use as well. Many are available cheaply at junkyards, usually for $5 here. Smart cars, to my knowledge, were originally made so that you didn't have the option of spares. The company gave you a bottle of pressurized sealer and a tire inflator, but no spare. In my personal opinion, even a doughnut spare would be good because it could fit a smart!

Darryl

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Hello Tom,
Len is absolutely right that the original ones are 15mm. However, I have found others that are 17mm on vehicles. I stopped at a mall in Illinois where I saw a smart car, a 2012 451, which a gentleman had bought. We talked and I noticed that his lug nuts were bigger than mine. He could only say that these were on the car when he bought it.

To save yourself time, money and aggravation, suggest that you consider having a 1/2" breaker bar, one 3-6" extension and a small set of 1/2" drive sockets from 13mm-19mm. They will fit all the bigger fasteners in the car, don't take up a not of room and will make tire removal easier.

Obviously, if you are planning to take off tires and presumably have a spare, you might want to read about that in other forum threads so that you find a compact screw jack to use as well. Many are available cheaply at junkyards, usually for $5 here. Smart cars, to my knowledge, were originally made so that you didn't have the option of spares. The company gave you a bottle of pressurized sealer and a tire inflator, but no spare. In my personal opinion, even a doughnut spare would be good because it could fit a smart!

Darryl
Mine are 15mm. I bought a break bar and socket. No problem getting the wheel off. The tire is shot. Gash in the sidewall. Rim not has bad as I thought. In my small city, WalMart would have to order the 155 60R 15 tires as they don’t stock that size. I went and ordered them from home and will be delivered to home for free.

·
I'll figger this car out
354 Posts
Mine are 15mm. I bought a break bar and socket. No problem getting the wheel off. The tire is shot. Gash in the sidewall. Rim not has bad as I thought. In my small city, WalMart would have to order the 155 60R 15 tires as they don’t stock that size. I went and ordered them from home and will be delivered to home for free.
Good to know that Walmart can be a source for the tires!
Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
726 Posts
I’ve bought my last 4 sets of Khumo tires from Wally World. They stand behind their warranty, but unless you can rotate all 4 tires, they will cut the warranty mileage in half (the manufacturer’s policy, not Walmart’s).

A HUGE advantage to getting tires at Walmart is that they will honor their tread wear and road hazard warranty anywhere in the USA. I’ve been on road trips and picked up a nail and taken my cars to the nearest Walmart and had them repaired zero hassle!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.