Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2014 ED with 29k miles started steering lumpy, by this I mean every ½ turn the steering became hard, either direction, to the point the wheel would not re-center after a turn.

I searched and found threads on the lower steering column universal joint needing lubrication.

I put car on ramps, removed the plastic cover under the front half of the car, jacked front end up off ramps, checked and found all the suspension/steering in good order.

I could only see the lower steering column universal thru the driver’s side fender well.

I sprayed it with WD-40 thru the opening as it was 12” or so back in there and this fixed the issue.

Questions –

• What have other people done for this condition as I’m sure spraying with WD-40 is not the correct method of maintenance for this joint?
  • Can the lower steering universal joint be purchased separately from the whole steering column?
  • What is the easiest way to access this joint, seem like ½ the front end would have to be disassembled?
Attached picture is the only view I could find of the joint without disassembly.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
11,310 Posts
When you post in one of the forums, it is listed on the right side of the page under recent Discussions. No need to post in other forums as this would be a violation of the terms Of service. We encourage new members to read through them. They are located in the FAQ section at the top of the page.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Apr 22, 2015, Mercedes-Benz USA is recalling 5,058 MY14-15 smart fortwo and MY14 smart fortwo ED coupes and cabrios - probably NOT related?
https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1098164_smart-fortwo-recalled-for-steering-bolts-issue
https://www.smartusa.com/recall
Are your front tires wearing normally???

Thanks!
I had seen that recall and verified my VIN was not on the list.
Front tire wear is normal....no other front steering or suspension issues....since WD-40 it was been working fine past couple days.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts