Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since we "opened our mind" by driving a smart,

How many of us "Think different" with a Mac.

Just curious to see if a lot of smartie owners are more likely to have Macs or Pc's

Please no debate on the merit of the two platforms

Personally I have a Mac

·
He's not mine
9,607 Posts
PC only since 1995. Primarily Commodore before 1995. Amiga was way ahead of even Apple, in its time. No debate? That's no fun.

·
Premium Member
2,744 Posts
I've had PC's of one type or another since 1985 (Tandy Coco before that, along with a IT99/4A, and even a Timex Sinclair). Have had 2 Macs - a 17" iMac when OSX first came out, and more recently upgraded to a 24". Also have a PC laptop.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,084 Posts
Yep, cut my teeth on a Commodore 64, then a 128, then an Amiga 500, and lastly a boosted 68030-powered Amiga 3000 through the mid-90s. I've been PC ever since.

And, I'd like to second the motion that the Amiga (like the smart in many ways) was ahead of it's time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If we have to go back this far.
Apple II
IBM AT 286
COMPAQ "luggable" the one that looked like a sewing machine case with the red plasma screen.
plenty other PC's until I went mac in 2003.
Just got a brand new Imac 27

The Rigger, I would love to try the Lisa, I wanted one so bad.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Started with Mac, they became too proprietary, went to PC, went back to Mac last year, now have an iphone, Mac book, Max mini.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Northstar Advantage, Sinclair ZX81, Atari 800xl, Atari MegaST, Amiga 500, G4 mac (hated it) too many PC's to list (no they didn't BSOD just part of my day job perks). And since I refuse to think like SJ I do "Think Different".:type:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I used to sell commodores and other CP/M machines back in 1982, but never owned one; bought a Mac in 1986 for music, the 512k.
Switched to NeXT in 1991, and have been using NeXTstep / OPENSTEP-mach / OSX ever since. I skipped all the awkward years at Apple ;-)
I started using Mac hardware again in 1997 with Rhapsody on through to now with snow leopard.

[& Newton >> iPod touch >> iPhone 3Gs (iPad to follow)]

I supported PCs professionally (and still do occasionally, but reluctantly) ... never wanted one.

It's funny because I have a friend who is a hot-rodder, builds his own PCs from components, and likes big fast MOPAR cars and doesn't understand my aversion to PCs or attraction to microcars, or that I've had the smart for nearly two years and have never seen the engine yet.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Started with the PC in the early 1980s (maybe around 1983) and was hardcore PC until I switched to MAC 2 and 1/2 years ago. I'm REALLY happy with my MAC.

Bob Diaz

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
I've owned both, but have been a primary Mac user all of my life. In my nerdy younger years I collected a bit - mostly secondhand. I'm a Network Administrator/Sysadmin now - I am one of the primary Mac admins at one of the largest enterprise Apple environments that exists - it's kind of cool.

I'm an Apple Certified SysAdmin, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator, and an Apple Certified Mac Hardware technician... I absolutely love the company.

I Got my 128K in 1985 when I was 3. Got a Mac Plus in about 1990, later when I started collecting, I picked up a few (Ones with asterisks I still have).

• Mac 128k* (In its original box at home in storage)
  • Mac Plus* (In original box at home in storage)
  • Mac SE
  • Mac Classic*
  • Mac Color Classic* (My favorite machine of all time... the only one of my vintage Macs I have here in Maryland with me.)
  • Mac LC III
  • Power Mac 7200*
  • Power Mac 8100
  • Power Mac 9600*
  • Power Macintosh G4 AGP Server* (Chugging along with 10.5 server here as an open directory master, centralized backup and media storage (4 TB of storage and needing an upgrade) and as a jumphost into my network for external access)
  • iMac 17" Core 2 Duo 2.16* (My main machine)
  • MacBook 13" Unibody White* (My new toy as of November)

·
Ex Admin/mod.
9,491 Posts
While in the active workforce, as a Federal Civil Servant, I had to use PC for compatibility reasons. Since then, I haven't done Windows, just Apple simple... :wink:
MacBook, Mac mini & LaCie for hub, iPhone for mobility.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts