Smart Car of America Forum banner

41 - 60 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
I used the Apple II at work along with the TI-99 and VT100 terminal connected to a VAX 11/780.

• Tandy 1000 PC
  • Mac Plus
  • Mac SE
  • Power Mac 6100
  • Power Mac G3
  • Power Mac G4
  • Mac Mini G4 (2005)
  • Mac Mini (2010)
  • iPhone 3GS
  • iPhone 4S
  • iPad 4
I bought and used a PC to do some things that I couldn't do on a Mac but it hasn't been powered up in over a year.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Apple iBook G4, iMac G4s (800mhz / 1.25ghz), aluminum unibody 2008 MacBook, iPad 3G, iPad 2, 1st gen iPod Shuffle, 3rd gen iPod Nano, 5.5 gen white iPod Classic, iPhone, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, AppleTV, and an Airport Extreme base station to connect them all.

Also in the process of becoming the owner of a 1987 Mac Plus from one college and a 2007 iMac from another.

I have one HP PC with Windows 7 on one drive and XP on another. Boot 7 approximately once every couple months to keep it updated and happy. Booted XP maybe half a dozen times in the 3 years its been available to me. There's something painstakingly idiotic and confuddled that happens every time Windows boots. A million updates by 5 different update downloaders all asking all the time, the Windows Updater that fails updates for no reason and needs to be cleaned / reset to work right again, application or system crashes, mismanagement of the file system by the OS (requiring disk defragmenting), general plug & play idiocy, bad or mismatched drivers for the hardware / software present... The list goes on and on, and my blood boils every time I boot the thing.

My experience has been dramatically better with technology since migrating to Apple tech back in 2005. I started out with an all-beige IBM setup way back in 1999 (I'm young), and my opinion of Windows goes down every year. Microsoft makes a mean gaming console, and Office is a force to be reckoned with (iWork just doesn't do it for me) but the operating systems put out by Microsoft and Apple are night and day different in terms of quality, design, fit and finish.

I feel better now. :)

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,084 Posts
Ah, the list of machines I've owned is too long to list, but the highlights would be:

Commodore 64/128 > Commodore Amiga(s) > Windows 95/98 PCs > Windows XP PCs > Windows 7 PCs.

I currently have Windows 7 SP1 (32-bit) on a Samsung NC10 netbook with an SSD and 64-bit Win 7 on a Dell Vostro laptop. I also use an ASUS Transformer Prime tablet running Android 4.1. The applications that I use work great on these machines.

IMO, Windows 7 is the ultimate version of Windows. Windows 8, on the other hand, is an abomination that makes Vista look good. :rolleyes:

I don't really store any data on the machines, but do use Acronis True Image and an external USB hard drive to take periodic drive image snapshots to save me some rebuild time if I ever experience a hardware failure. It sure did make it easy to upgrade the netbook to an SSD.

All of my important data is stored on a Netgear NAS box with RAID. I make periodic encrypted backups of it and take them off site, just in case something would happen to the house.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I have had the opportunity to use both PC and Apple over the last 30+ years. Unisys Icons, Vic-20, Commodore 64/128, Atari, Tandy, PETs, Apple II, Amigas, PC-10 and 20's, Basic to Windows 7, iMacs, iBooks. The newest computer I have is a Raspberry Pi. I am sure I am forgetting a few other manufactures from the 80's.

I have had the same XP machine for nearly 12 years and it will perform most of the tasks I need. Smooth HD video being the only real exception. I picked up a fairly inexpensive laptop that has no issue with HD video, so the XP machine has been retired.

For the applications I use, I greatly prefer PC to the current Apple products.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Wow did not realize so many folks had used an Amiga. There was a machine that was WAY ahead of its time. Expensive as all get out, but the graphics and OS were top notch for their time. Dual floppies baby! Then, a hard drive!!!! I do miss that machine - I finally sold it about two years ago - it had been in my basement for years. It still ran when I sold it...great machine. Oh,wait, we were talking about Apples. I post from my iPad, does that count?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
I am predominately a MAC user since i am a graphic artist by trade since 2009. I do use an old PC sometimes to scan my comic strip drawings to be rendered on my MAC. Hopefully, if monies come in in time, i can ditch the PC for a MAC desktop, i am using a Macbook for my main work and internet use, as i find the safari web software much faster than internet explorer.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,084 Posts
... as i find the safari web software much faster than internet explorer.
I think most power PC users ditched Internet Exploder a few years ago for FireFox initially and then Chrome. It's Chrome with AdBlock all the way on my Win 7 machines and Chrome for Android on my tablet. :wink:

·
Premium Member
716 Posts
How did I miss this thread the first time around? Oh well, I have been an Apple fan since the original Apple IIe. Part of that was due to the fact I was in k-12 education and part bc I just liked the way they worked. That is not to say I didn't have my share of other operating systems machines dating back to my first Sinclair ZX-81. My school district send me to DSSO (Dealer Sponsored Service Organization) school in 89. Since then I have kept current with the repair training. I was the tech director of our school district for over 20 years until retirement 5 years ago. At that time our district had over 1400 Macs in service ( each staff member and all middle school students), spread over 7 schools and the central office mostly networked via wireless with wire & fiber backbones. The support staff
was myself 3 tech teachers and 1 repair tec. Try that with micosoft stuff. The amazing thing was it all WORKED. However, summers and school vacations were busy for myself and my staff. I started collecting Apple stuff back in the late 80's. Upon moving from Maine to Florida 3 years ago I sold most of it off on ebay. About the only things I have now is a complete set of "Think Different" poster and an original working Macintosh portable (which I have listed this week on ebay).

Here's the link if you are interested

Apple Macintosh Portable M5126 Mint with Case Box Assessories Paperword | eBay

So currently, my Apple devices include a 15" MacBook Pro (mine), 13" MacAir (wife), Mac TV, iPhone 5, Time machine, and several iPods.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
512K Mac (1986), NeXTstation (2) (1991-92), Newton (1994), canon object.station41 (1995; NeXTstep, OPENSTEP/MACH/intel), various Mac towers during the NeXT/Apple merger - 2002, iMacs since 2006, macbook, iPhone 4S, iPad.

now do we describe our guitar collections?

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
Started with an IMSAI 8080 (built from a lot of parts), used it until the mid-1980's when it was replaced with a Fat Mac (512K). The IMSAI and a TI-59 got me through college. The Fat Mac is downstairs in the cellar. The Fat Mac was replaced with an iMac (blue), then an iMac DV that the wife still uses. I am working on a Windows-compatible used for job requirements. On the table is also a Dell micro with Linux.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I do use an old PC sometimes to scan my comic strip drawings to be rendered on my MAC. Hopefully, if monies come in in time, i can ditch the PC for a MAC desktop...

My main battle-wagon has been a 3Ghz Intel unibody MacBook Pro for longer than I can remember, with a Mac OS partition running Mountain Lion and a Bootcamp partition running WinXP, SP3 for some of the winch-control stuff I do that has to run in a WinTel environment.

I will say that WinXP runs faster and smoother on my 3Ghz Mac laptop than I've ever seen it run on a 3Ghz PC.

41 - 60 of 101 Posts