Smart Car of America Forum banner

61 - 80 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Once you go mac you dont go back :cool:

3+ years and not one problem, on my old toshiba computer i had problems with it every week and it ran slow and just looked bad.

Macs just look so nice and clean and simple and run great.

They are expensive but its worth the money. You truly get what you pay for, pure quality.

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,094 Posts
I'm sure Macs are generally quality machines with the occasional problem component (like any piece of hardware), but most top tier machines these days are generally problem free.

- 5 years on a Samsung netbook without a problem. Loaded Win 7 on it four years ago. Wife uses it every day for browsing and MS Office.

- Right at 3 years on a Dell Win 7 17" desktop replacement notebook, no problems.

Upgraded both with SSDs recently. A truly fantastic upgrade for any OS.

For the past year or so I don't use the notebook/netbook unless I really need a keyboard/mouse for real work. I use a Nexus 7 (2nd gen) tablet for general surfing and misc stuff. Incredible screen on the N7 2013 edition.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
I have used Mac's since 1984. Since I'm a graphic designer. Nothing better. Both platforms do that well now. Most computers today, are pretty equal. All of them can surf the web, which most folks use them for. Both platform, can work business apps too.

Mac platforms/and the operating systems have been more stable in the past. We used both at work.

Converted my die hard brother, and his family to Mac. I was so tried of listening complain about his PC's. He loves them now, and every thing Apple makes.

Wish Apple would make cars. It neat MB, Ferrari, and some of the other car manufacture, are offering Apple apps, in there sound system.

Going to the Apple store, is fun. They are always busy. I love my iPods, iPads, iPod, and 27" iMac. Love Siri too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
For PCs, I had a TI99-4A, then an original IBM PC with 2 360K floppies, with DOS. That was followed by a long series of new and improved DOS and Windows boxes; currently I've got a Dell Inspiron 17" laptop. I started down the Apple road with an iPad2, then got a Mac Mini to be able to develop apps for the iPad. Over the years, I've worked on systems ranging from PCs to mainframes, using about a dozen different programming languages, on just about every type of media from punch cards to SSDDs (although that still makes me thin Single-Side Double-Density floppy disk!).

·
17,390 Posts
...on my old toshiba computer i had problems with it every week and it ran slow and just looked bad.
For the record, older Toshibas were notorious for poor quality (though, they did churn out some pretty good machines). I'd compare an old Toshiba to an old Daewoo. New Toshiba is much better, quite desirable too...

I have 3 Macs, an Acer, a Dell, and a HP.

I'm a diehard Apple fanboy and even I have to agree with smark, you really can't go wrong with any brand or operating system. And each one has perks and downfalls. :)

I have the same opinion about iOS, Android, BB, and Windows Mobile. You can't go wrong with any of them and there are things to like and dislike about them all. :)

·
To the XCAPEPOD!
6,094 Posts
... you really can't go wrong with any brand or operating system. And each one has perks and downfalls. :)

I have the same opinion about iOS, Android, BB, and Windows Mobile. You can't go wrong with any of them and there are things to like and dislike about them all. :)
We should all be able to agree on this. :) Aren't we lucky that there are so many choices to meet our many different needs/desires?

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I started reading this thread from the first page, got to page four before I realized how long ago it started. I've been a Mac guy since 1991. What a happy day it was that I brought home my Mac IIsi! Then two PowerBooks and now a MacBookPro, iPad second gen, and iPhone 3gs, and now a 5s. And three iPods spanning several generations.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I started off with an Apple IIc when I was a kid, moved from there to a PC, stuck with PC's for quite a while until OS X came out. I hated the complexity and multitude of steps it took to get a lot of things done on Windows and so I was thrilled to switch to a Mac. Got me an iMac G4, the one with the swivel arm, then an iBook G3 and then one of the flat screen iMacs. Loved all of them, loved OS X, but each of these computers died from hardware problems that were too expensive to fix and so while I still like OS X I am not a fan of Apple hardware. At this point I started using old, obsolete, PC's that people would give me when they upgraded. I would install Ubuntu Linux on them and they would run fast and great. I am typing this on a Dell Latitude D620 running Ubuntu 12.04 which serves as my primary computer and works great. Cheap and effective, that's the way I like it.

George Oeser Photography

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am a graphic designer. I use PC's for freelance and macs at work (because that's what they offer to use).

The entire adobe suite has run more stable on PC's since CS3. Adobe products like photoshop, indesign, illustrator also offer more functionality on a PC. I hate when I have to use certain features on a mac because it slows down progress.

The problem with PC's are not a problem with PC's. It's that most people who compare PC's to macs do not compare at the same price point. A PC at the same price point of a new 27" iMac will run circles around it. You can also get better monitors then what apple is offering on the imacs. The dell ultrasharp series are a good budget way to get a solid panel that works as good if not better than a mac does, but your best bet is an NEC.

I would say mac's run a few percent more stable than a PC, but not at the limits. For the same price of what you can pay for in a mac, you can double your ram in a PC and then some. Mac's seem to stress hard and slow down considerably when pushed to the limits of the hardware, PC's seem to do better with this...or generally are not having their resources maxed due to a larger resource pool to start with.

I like PC's, but I also know how to build and maintain one..and frankly I think windows 7 and even windows 8 (what I am running now) are more intuitive.

I still hate trying to remember the 3 button combination to take a screen shot on a mac.

·
17,390 Posts
Indeed Raygun! Apple is like Bugatti, you're definitely paying for the logo first, then for the hardware. And for the price of the hardware, you can get something different that will do the job better. :wink:

As for hardware resource capabilities, all factors considered I think PCs and Macs are about equal...

The problem with Macs is that for a while, their operating systems
(namely, Lion and Mountain Lion) heavily tasked hardware
, so when it came time for heavy duty processing, they couldn't keep up with equivalent machines.

Though, I'm VERY pleased with OS X 10.9 Mavericks. 10.9 is notably faster than 10.8 and that's without any hardware changes at all.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Didn't matter what computer. Couldn't use anything today. Cable was down most the day. Stupid latest greatest Adobe programs are base off internet access now. Good thinking there. Pay buy the month. Adobe, Comcast, you owe me a day.

Ray gun. Command Shift 4. Make your photo, selection, off you go.

·
17,390 Posts
Didn't matter what computer. Couldn't use anything today. Cable was down most the day. Stupid latest greatest Adobe programs are base off internet access now. Good thinking there. Pay buy the month. Adobe, Comcast, you owe me a day.
It gets even worse than that. Online only DRM...

Online only DRM is a lovely way to make sure Internet Pirates don't steal material. I think it's stupid...it runs under the assumption that you'll always be connected to the net no matter where the machine is when you run the program.

So, essentially you can buy an expensive program, but not be able to use it because it cannot connect to the mothership.

·
Registered
3,398 Posts
I use a laptop PC at home (occasionally)
A desktop PC at both offices (I have two jobs)
I carry an iPhone 5s and iPad Air just about everywhere I go.

So, I am in both Mac & PC worlds?

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Part of its Apples fault too. Maverick, doesn't like older CS Adobe programs. So much for the latest greatest upgrades. Got to live with it.

·
17,390 Posts
Part of its Apples fault too. Maverick, doesn't like older CS Adobe programs. So much for the latest greatest upgrades. Got to live with it.
Can't deny that. Microsoft and Sony aren't any better either. Both of their home game consoles were going to require to be online at all times...even to play single player games you own...

Backlash from the Media and consumers made them backpedal.

What did they do in return? They made it so you can't sell any game you buy, you have to install it to the miniscule hard drives, and the will not detect USB media.

Then as a cherry on top, they intentionally made it so their next gen systems will not play previous generation games.

Worst yet, game devs didn't get the memo, so you still end up buying games with online only DRM.

·
He's not mine
9,613 Posts
Dayum, zombie thread revival, LOL.
They are expensive but its worth the money. You truly get what you pay for, pure quality.
If I believed that, I'd be a Mac'er. I don't skimp on things that matter to me. So, if you buy a cheap PC, yeah you're going to get a cheap computer. But, you have the option of buying quality in either platform. But, even if you're willing to spend the bucks, you get more bang for them in a PC. Just a simple fact.

Hey, I thought the OP didn't want debates!

P.S. That old expression, "you get what you pay for", always has bugged me, and not just in regard to computers, because it ain't necessarily so. You almost always pay for what you get though.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
I just bought an iPod Touch 16 GHz new from Staples on a one day special for $179.

I also bought an iMac 13" screen ten days ago to replace my old XP at work. We tried Linux and it's too slow and difficult to get my printer to work.
So I'm probably going to open the box soon, because I only have a few days to return it.

61 - 80 of 101 Posts