Smart Car of America Forum banner

81 - 100 of 101 Posts

·
17,372 Posts
Depending on where you're from, it's someone's name, a tool, the second half of a band's name, a fast food burger, a cheesy noodle food, or a computer. :D

·
17,372 Posts
Oh my, I think this may be one of those things where I think someone was being sarcastic, but they're actually asking a legitimate question?? :(

Ummm...in that case, "Mac" is what people usually call iMac, MacBook, and other Macintosh computers from Apple. :)

The whole "Mac vs. PC" thing makes no sense to me, they're all PCs!!!

·
17,372 Posts
I am, but even I know that in reality, Macs are PCs too... :D

I try to shy away from the "Apple Fanboy" stereotype. :wink:

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I am, but even I know that in reality, Macs are PCs too... :D

I try to shy away from the "Apple Fanboy" stereotype. :wink:
Likes Macs but is embarrassed to admit it. Hmmmmm.:nerd:

I was being sarcastic. I'm PC and Android all the way. I do have a 7th generation iPod nano I inherited from daughter #3 when she went to live with her mom and left it behind.:) There really isn't an alternative to it in the non Apple universe and it was free, so I tolerate it. It's all I listen to in my car.

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
But we all can agree that the stupid puck mouse that apple made back in the early 2000's was the worst thing ever made by them right?

·
Registered
22 Posts
All Apple, all the time--ever since my first Mac in 1985. Worked for Apple 2002-2004 and mainlined the Kool Aid. Taught classes at the local Apple Store for 'switchers' who were uniformly delighted. No platform is perfect, but Mac is just waaay beyond, IMHO.
Since I wrote this a few years ago, Ive been working at a VA hospital as a clinical informaticist (a nurse geek who troubleshoots our Windoze-based medical record system). All windows at work and all mac at home until 2 years ago, when I was finally allowed to telework. Was happily able to remote in to my windows work machine from my mac book at home via a Citrix gateway. Found a huge mac user group within the VA who were doing the same. Luckily, the national VA medical record program is unix-based and therefore relatively easy to upgrade and maintain in a mac-like environment. The windows hardware is a different story!! But that's what kept me and a huge IT department in regular paychecks. I retired last year to a cabin on a lake with my MacBook Pro, iPad mini and iPhone. Ahhhh!

·
17,372 Posts
Likes Macs but is embarrassed to admit it. Hmmmmm.:nerd:

I was being sarcastic. I'm PC and Android all the way. I do have a 7th generation iPod nano I inherited from daughter #3 when she went to live with her mom and left it behind.:) There really isn't an alternative to it in the non Apple universe and it was free, so I tolerate it. It's all I listen to in my car.
Figured so! :D

Yeah, the Microsoft Zune came pretty close, but nothing quite matches the iPod. And if you dislike having to use iTunes, you can actually install Linux to an iPod and turn it into the most versatile music player on the planet.

I have a second gen iPod Nano running Linux. Music transfer is as easy as plugging it into a computer and simply putting files onto the iPod like you would a flash drive. It'll even play videos...which is kinda goofy on such a small screen...

But we all can agree that the stupid puck mouse that apple made back in the early 2000's was the worst thing ever made by them right?

I have a 233 MHz iMac G3 (tray loader) and a 350 MHz iMac G3 (slot loader). Both have the puck mouse. I'm "ok" with it, though it's not ergonomic at all and I can see why Apple very quickly changed the mouse.

Who uses a mouse anymore? Haven't used one, in 20 years.

This one is pure beauty. It sit on my desk collecting dust.

*drools* :D

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
I might need to change my ways in the next couple of years. As I have posted earlier I'm a Mac guy as well. And into PC's before they were called PC's.... ah the olde tape based Sinclairs... Anyway with Apple's move to no upgrading (RAM or storage) of their laptop line.. I will either have to belly up to the bar and hit the retirement account hard on my next purchase for a loaded machine or move to a more open platform. I have always purchased a lower end machine and upgraded the storage and memory as Apple charges way TOO much for these pieces. When Apple announced the latest models of the MacBook Pro line, I found a left over2.6 GHz Intel Core i7 15" MacBook Pro. Stripped out the DVD, added a OptiBay, moved the optical drive to a usb enclosure and a 1.5 TB data drive to the bay, replaced the 750 GB hard drive with a 225 GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD as a boot and application drive and replaced the 8 GB RAM with 16 GB. I guess I'm set at least for the rest of the year......(my wife's words NOT mine).

·
Registered
182 Posts
Didn't matter what computer. Couldn't use anything today. Cable was down most the day. Stupid latest greatest Adobe programs are base off internet access now. Good thinking there. Pay buy the month. Adobe, Comcast, you owe me a day.

Ray gun. Command Shift 4. Make your photo, selection, off you go.
I use adobe creative cloud, have not had internet for 3 weeks...been using photoshop, illustrator and indesign the whole time....offline.

Command Shift 4 is not intuitive, print screen button is...and is labeled.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Indeed Raygun! Apple is like Bugatti, you're definitely paying for the logo first, then for the hardware. And for the price of the hardware, you can get something different that will do the job better. :wink:

As for hardware resource capabilities, all factors considered I think PCs and Macs are about equal...

The problem with Macs is that for a while, their operating systems
(namely, Lion and Mountain Lion) heavily tasked hardware
, so when it came time for heavy duty processing, they couldn't keep up with equivalent machines.

Though, I'm VERY pleased with OS X 10.9 Mavericks. 10.9 is notably faster than 10.8 and that's without any hardware changes at all.

That's my point, apple does not do the job "better", and actually in graphic design you are limiting yourself using a mac or a mac pro. Adobe software does things on PC's that it does not do on mac...making the process longer. If two exact designs are made, one on PC, one on mac the end print or web result will look identical.

As far as hardware...how do you think apple has all the billions it has? From high prices? Partially, but its not from high prices, its from large margins. How do they get these margins? By using inferior internal parts. The reason mac does work well is because the parts are designed to work together, where as on a PC you have a million more options...some work just as...better than mac, some don't work well at all. The issue I have with the PC mac debate is that PC's are never compared equally to a mac. People buy a 300 dollar dell, and hate it....they spend 3k on an imac and love it...I wonder why. And in that regard, sure mac is like bugatti...but it's like comparing a bugatti to a smart car. Now if you build a PC at the same price as it costs for a mac, you now have a bugatti vs a mclaren.

You can buy mother boards made with better parts vs what a mac is made with, same with memory, same with drives, the only think that will maintain constant in hardware between a PC and a mac is the processor.

Mac's are made with mid spec stuff. I am not saying its bad, but it's not on par with what a PC can be made with. The selling factor for most macs, believe it or not is that they are pretty, and people have developed an association with apple that if you own apple, you belong in a special club.

·
Registered
6,978 Posts
I use adobe creative cloud, have not had internet for 3 weeks...been using photoshop, illustrator and indesign the whole time....offline.

Command Shift 4 is not intuitive, print screen button is...and is labeled.

Adobe CS Site license, you need the internet.

Make a screen dump print.

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
Remember the old Power Computing Mac clone days? The big advantage of the Mac is also what holds it back. And that is Apple's control over the core hardware and software and NEVER LETTING GO. Well they have had to open the system a little since the old days but not much. Which brings me to the first sentence the Mac clone days were a disaster and that's why they are no longer on the market.

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
Well I finally connected my MacBook Air and it's real different-- in a good way of course, yet it's a learning curve.
The solid hard drive is a great concept and so quiet, but the 13" size screen is a compromise unless I spend a great deal more.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
.... but the 13" size screen is a compromise unless I spend a great deal more.
Thought the same at first. Two years ago I moved from a 21" Apple monitor to my standard size iPad. Since I no longer need to do work requiring a large screen or a full computer, the iPad has now become my computer. I have never looked back.

81 - 100 of 101 Posts