Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking around the forum, and I made an account just to post this question.

I've been looking into getting a smart for a while, but I have not seen ANYTHING based on a rear crash test/rating, except a video but there was no explanation about what happened:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrLuOTLA8mg

I would like to know if there is any videos on the rear crash test, or if there is any information about the rear crash test results/in general crash test results from any reputable places like IIHS and what-not.

Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
912 Posts
The video that you linked shows a TV screen playing another video that shows a rear impact, and gives some details about the scenario - 50 mph / 80 km/h (which is a very hard hit), struck by a deformable barrier which is evidently designed to be comparable to a Honda Accord.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The video that you linked shows a TV screen playing another video that shows a rear impact, and gives some details about the scenario - 50 mph / 80 km/h (which is a very hard hit), struck by a deformable barrier which is evidently designed to be comparable to a Honda Accord.
Maybe I didn't clarify.. I was looking for the ratings of the rear crash. Like the x/5 stars. 50 mph to a dead stop is indeed a hard hit. Thanks for the fast reply!

·
Registered
5,191 Posts
I haven't seen any numbers or ratings but that doesn't mean they aren't out there. The rear of a smart car is literally 2' from your butt. There is no way it is going to compare with a large vehicle. While the smart does very well for it's diminutive size with good engineering, if this is a big concern of yours, you should probably seek another car.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
From real world collisions the smart when hit from behind usually fares better than the vehicle running into it. Passengers usually have fairly minor injuries.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Maybe I didn't clarify.. I was looking for the ratings of the rear crash. Like the x/5 stars.
The IIHS gave it an "Acceptable" rating, which is generally 3/5 for rear rating. It's hard to find raw data on any IIHS tests because they want to charge for it. But there have been a couple of places posting the results on the web. Google is your friend... Took me all of 2 minutes to find.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
Most of the safety ratings out there qualify their rating as being "based on another vehicle of similar SIZE and WEIGHT"?

When you are talking about a smart, THERE ARE NO OTHER VEHICLES OF SIMILAR SIZE AND WEIGHT?

That being said. I work at a dealership, and in the past 7 years we have seen smarts involved in front ends, rear ends, T-bones and roll-overs (and even one that did a head on with a SEMI)?

In every case, the people in the smart were able to walk away.

They are VERY safe cars.

·
Super Moderator
11,216 Posts
sillysilberman, here is the bottom line. Avoid the Accident!!! with the small size and the ability to squeeze out of tight situations, just get out of the way...

That being said, a smart is similar to a pig pong ball. they just sort of pop out of the way and that deflects a lot of the energy of a crash. The safety cage (trideon cell) also does a superior job of protecting the occupants.

·
Registered
208 Posts
People always think that a car as small as a smart can't be safe. Its size is actually one of the reasons it is such a safe car. Obviously being such a tiny target makes it harder to hit and avoiding an accident is the surest way of walking away from one!

·
Registered
465 Posts
My work required ever other year driver training and testing for many years. They may still but I'm no longer in that job. Long before airbags and such we used to watch a film with a state trooper called there is room to live in there. He claimed in 25 years he had never unbelted a corpse from a car. The point was if you stay in the car and the passenger compartment is intact you will live. Most die from being ejected then ran over by the car.

This got me thinking so I started paying attention. I watched the newspaper for crash photos. You could almost always tell when someone wasn't wearing their seatbelt. Intact passenger compartment and dead person. Seat belt still in the retractor on the B pillar.

The smart is built on this concept.
1st small and nimble helps to avoid in the 1st place.

Very strong rigid strucure. The eggshell of a passenger compartment if very strong and hard to break. In fact the only picture I've seen of a broken tridian was a convertable here locally that was in a high speed head on with a van. The shell didn't break but got pinched in the only direction that will give. the coupes don't share that apparent weak spot. (the "vert is still a strong shell.)

Think most any race car. Full roll cage. Securely belted in. Big impact or multiple rollover at 2-3 times the speed you'll ever drive. Minor injuries.

Lot's of airbags to cushion you inside of that eggshell.

It's light so it often gets punted by bigger vehicles. Often that's an asset. Many big cars don't move so the passngers recieve a lot more impact forces. The Smart often skitters down the road from a big hit relieving a lot of energy from the impact.

After owning my Smart and reading a lot of the accidents reported and how poeople walked away. I can only think about some of the supposedly much safer cars I've owned and shiver a little.

There are at least a couple of folks on here who have had more than one typical stoplight rear ending in the same Smart.

1st and foremost remember. There is no such thing as a safe car!

Live is not safe either. Never has been, never will be. Nobody gets out alive. >:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts