Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received an email from a respected vendor who's offering Dimple brand magnetic oil drain plugs and Dimple brand magnets that you put on your oil filter. Both items are reusable and are supposed to trap metal particles that would otherwise escape the filter. When you change the oil, you're supposed to wipe these fragments off the plug and re-install it. The magnets that go on the outside of the filter are supposed to trap fragments against the filter case. Again, after you change the filter, you put the magnets on the new filter you're installing.
Does anyone have any experience/knowledge of whether these actually work or is it just wishful thinking and good marketing?

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's essentially my question. What's going to wear, pieces of aluminum or pieces of steel?

·
Registered
9,009 Posts
...they do the job that they were intended for...big engines have the magnetic plug wired to a light to let you know that there's something going on..the manufacturer calls them "chip" light...we call them "chunk" light for a reason...

...whats' the crank made out off?

jetfuel

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you jwight, I've been meaning to ask that question too. What is the function of the screen on the oil plug/pickup? There's already a filter in the system, so is it redundant filtration protection or something else?

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
It's the pre-filter for the engine oil pump pickup. Take a look at the cutaways on media.daimler.com, and all around this site.

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Thanks, a pre-filter was all I could make of it too. So, does that mean that if we're concerned about ferrous metal filings, as in Jetfuel's crankshaft example, does the magnetic drain plug serve this purpose and make the screen redundant and unnecessary?

·
Registered
474 Posts
If I may.

The screen is aparantly exactly as stated... a pre-filter. I think it is logical that it ONLY does its job at two specific times in the life of your engine. First, when the engine is started for the very first time where there may be filings in the sump that hasn't had a chance to go through the (much finer) oil filter. Second, the instant your engine blows up and you have bigger problems to worry about.

For the 200,000+ miles in between... I can't see how such a course filter would do anything at all.

Now, do the magnets? According to the manufacturer they absolutely do. I obviously can't personally back that claim as I have no data either way. I think logic would say it helps and certainly couldn't hurt.

To answer the Q about the screen directly: No, it does not come with a screen. Yes, your original screen can be re-fitted onto the magnet. However... the longer thread of the replacement plug makes it so it won't fit. So you'd either have to use some washers to make up the gap (not sure how well that would work) or you'd have to carefully trim the screen to account for the difference.

However I certainly didn't bother in my car. And when I had mine installed, it was by the dealership and they raised no question at all. There was no discussion about the screen or concern in the slightest. That was the first time I knew about the screen... when they handed my original back to me. I asked if that was important, and the service manager shrugged is shoulders and said simply, "not really".

Obviously it is up to the individual to decide. I can't monitor the forums constantly so if someone does come up with a factual determination (ie. some service manager somewhere says not to do it) then please, I'd appreciate if someone can give me a headsup. It is a new product at my store and it seemed like a good, or at least harmless, thing to try and by all logic it should help prolong your engine's life.

- Steven

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
If you start to find bits of crankshaft in your oil you can be reasonably certain the engine is no longer running. Most of the materials in the bearing are non ferrous as well.
Oil sampling on the other hand...
karl

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
...I'm using a round magnet on the bottom of the oil filter about 2" dia..:wink:

jetfuel ...in Naples FL
Just curious about the location of the magnet. The folks selling the "black hole" magnets put them (6) around the outside of the filter canister to " pull metallic fragments in your oil toward the outer shell of your oil filter and hold them there safely until the next time you change your oil." Does the positioning make any difference, or is just having the magnet that (may) matter?

·
Registered
9,009 Posts
..the heavy particules wil settle at the bottom (eventually)...and the magnet will hold them there(if strong enough)...mine is the same size as the diameter of the filter and quite strong:D..

jetfuel...tire of working in Naples FL:rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you. I have a bunch of those strong "rare earth" magnets left over from another project. Perhaps I'll store them them on the oil filter instead of the shelf in my shop.

·
Registered
9,009 Posts
...my filter is about due for a change..I'll cut it open and see how good it did this time..last filter was discarded without cutting open to take a look..

jetfuel...filtering in Naples FL

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Jetfuel, Mine got cut open with a pipe cutter type of tool so I did not add any swarf to the can. looked in the drain bucket and decanted that. I picked up a little shine but not a thing stuck to the magnetic pickup tool that I poked around in it. The tiny shiny flecks looked to me to be the typical wear as the piston seats in its bore.
I would be interested to hear what you find when you open yours
thanks
karl

·
Premium Member
2,905 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm interested too. Pending your results, my leftover magnets are now in storage on my oil filter.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts