Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can all maintenance be done by a local mechanic? or does the computer has to be reset at dealership? Mine has just gone off warranty and need a less expensive way to maintain my 2016 Passion.

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
Any good service service center, can preform service on a smart car. For years now, I’ve been using Christain Brother’s Automotive. They're pretty much Nation wide.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2016 Passion should be a 453. Are you referring to this reset? 453 Maintenance Due Dash Reset
I just rea
2016 Passion should be a 453. Are you referring to this reset? 453 Maintenance Due Dash Reset
i needed to know if the computer needed resetting after performing any maintenance particularly the 100,000 one. The 2016 + seem to be more computer driven. The dealerships are treating me differently, since they are not selling them anymore. Not having spark plugs when they knew that maintenance was scheduled not washing the car or bringing it up to covered pickup place. I drive 3hrs through mountains to get to 2 different dealerships. If I can have local mechanics who do not have specific computer testing and resetting, I will gladly have it done here. How do I know the reset that you mentioned was performed?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any good service service center, can preform service on a smart car. For years now, I’ve been using Christain Brother’s Automotive. They're pretty much Nation wide.
Thank you for your help. My car runs so well that I don’t want to mess it up. Do they use Smart parts or that doesn’t matter?

·
Registered
7,564 Posts
It really doesn’t matter. So many aftermarket Maintenance parts available. Big ticket items, they can order from MB.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Can all maintenance be done by a local mechanic? or does the computer has to be reset at dealership? Mine has just gone off warranty and need a less expensive way to maintain my 2016 Passion.
I have found a local shop that did brakes and a radiator flush... I also purchased my own scanner that does smart.. it wasn't super expensive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I been servicing my 2008 and 2013 SMART cars myself for years. I buy all my parts at AutoZone, usually the most expensive option with Lifetime Warranty. For example the disc brake pads, I only pay once for Lifetime Warranty and get FREE replacements every time they wear out. I buy Mobil 1 engine oil from from Costco when the box of six has special discounted price. I also buy the windshield wipers at Costco. Also, with AutoZone, sign up for the REWARDS program. Every time you purchase $20 or more they give you a 1 Reward, with 5 Rewards you get $20 dollars FREE purchase parts at AutoZone. I always plan and calculate my AutoZone purchases to be $20 or slightly above. You can do multiple $20 dollars purchases the same day to accumulate Rewards point faster, as long as you space your $20 purchase every hour. If you are not a DIY mechanic, you can purchase the parts yourself and bring them to your mechanic for installation. SMART cars are well build and require minimum maintenance, specially the older models that were built by MB in Europe, like my 2008 SMART. My 2013 SMART, I believe was build in the USA, not by MB, fan radiator already failed. I replaced the fan myself ordered from Amazon. I purchased an slightly used low mileage good conditions Clutch Actuator from eBAy for my 2008 SMART.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I been servicing my 2008 and 2013 SMART cars myself for years. I buy all my parts at AutoZone, usually the most expensive option with Lifetime Warranty. For example the disc brake pads, I only pay once for Lifetime Warranty and get FREE replacements every time they wear out. I buy Mobil 1 engine oil from from Costco when the box of six has special discounted price. I also buy the windshield wipers at Costco. Also, with AutoZone, sign up for the REWARDS program. Every time you purchase $20 or more they give you a 1 Reward, with 5 Rewards you get $20 dollars FREE purchase parts at AutoZone. I always plan and calculate my AutoZone purchases to be $20 or slightly above. You can do multiple $20 dollars purchases the same day to accumulate Rewards point faster, as long as you space your $20 purchase every hour. If you are not a DIY mechanic, you can purchase the parts yourself and bring them to your mechanic for installation. SMART cars are well build and require minimum maintenance, specially the older models that were built by MB in Europe, like my 2008 SMART. My 2013 SMART, I believe was build in the USA, not by MB, fan radiator already failed. I replaced the fan myself ordered from Amazon. I purchased an slightly used low mileage good conditions Clutch Actuator from eBAy for my 2008 SMART.
Any mechanic can do routine maintenance on SMART cars: Oil Change, Brake replacement, Spark Plug, adding coolant, brake, and power steering fluids. Because SMART cars suspension sucks, the Halogen Low Beam Headlamps filaments break and burn frequently. I tried different LEDs Headlamps from Amazon (LED lamps don't have filaments), but the all mess up the radio with static noise interference.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you so much for the info.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts