Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to all,
2014 451 here. Started it today and the two wrenches icon showed up on the dash. Indicates -19 miles to service.

Owner's manual was no help resetting. U tube posts showed two different ways to reset. Neither worked. I did the maintenance well before the light appeared.
Any clues on how to reset it? Tried Ignition on, press button twice, ignition off then on again while holding button for 10 sec or more. Alternate u tube shows starting the car while holding the button 10 sec. All that happens is the icon goes away after about 15 seconds if the engine is running but re-appears upon shut off and re-start. If the ignition is on instead of starting the engine the dash simply times out and shuts off and no reset occurs.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
2,297 Posts
Hi to all,
2014 451 here. Started it today and the two wrenches icon showed up on the dash. Indicates -19 miles to service.

Owner's manual was no help resetting. U tube posts showed two different ways to reset. Neither worked. I did the maintenance well before the light appeared.
Any clues on how to reset it? Tried Ignition on, press button twice, ignition off then on again while holding button for 10 sec or more. Alternate u tube shows starting the car while holding the button 10 sec. All that happens is the icon goes away after about 15 seconds if the engine is running but re-appears upon shut off and re-start. If the ignition is on instead of starting the engine the dash simply times out and shuts off and no reset occurs.

What am I missing?

Thanks in advance

Keep trying the one without firing up the ignition. The timing of the procedure can't be explained. Just keep trying and eventually you'll get it right.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
If you don't get it after 3 or 4 tries, walk away for a few hours. mine seems to ignore attempts after 3 tries. If I wait overnight, it worked the first try in the morning. Has happened more than once.

·
Super Moderator
1,557 Posts
Same thing happened to me Jim, except it tried to ignore me for several days. I have reset the indicator a number of times on both of my Smarts and made a note to myself exactly what worked. However, this last time I tried, it was frustrating as all get out. No matter what I tried, it just would not reset. Then finally one day about four or five days of frustration, it just reset with no issues using the procedure I had been trying for days.

Len
2014 EV Coupe 15,500 miles
2014 EV Cabriolet 6,500 miles

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks. I tried the UK video procedure. Didn't work either. I'll describe what happens and maybe someone can see something I'm doing wrong.

Turn the ignition key on and dash lights up. After 5 seconds the wrench icons appear and flashes and shows -19 miles (past service) on the odometer. Same exact thing happens if I start the engine. Then, after 30 seconds (either engine on or just key on) the wrench icons disappear and the odometer reads normal.
No matter how many times I push the left button or in what order with the ignition on then off all it does is reset the trip odometer. If I hold the button in for the 10 sec or more it does nothing until the icon goes away after 30 seconds. If I push the button once or twice with ignition key on then off then on the wrench icon still won't appear until 5 second passes as stated above.

Owner manual says turn ignition key on and push left button repeatedly until maintenance wrench icon appears. Then, it says push it once more to reset it.
Of course, same thing happens as described above. Nothing!

·
Super Moderator
28,960 Posts
Timing is critical....

I printed this out from the Evilution video and it does work, but the timing of the steps is the key to making it work:

Switch on the ignition to position 1.

Select maintenance indicator within 4 sec by double tapping the instrument cluster button.

Switch the ignition to position 0 (off) within 10 sec.

Push and hold in the instrument cluster button and switch ignition on.

Hold the instrument cluster button for another 10sec.
In that time, the spanner symbol on the LCD will flash and eventually reset.

:)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks so much for everyone’s input. Stupid alert! I was putting the key in position ll rather than position 1. Guess what? It still didn’t work. Tried several times.
Perhaps eating French fries while wearing a clown hat and all the while whistling the French National Anthem might do the trick?
I’ll give it a rest and try again tomorrow
Grrrrrrrr…………

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
when the ignition is off, and you press and hold the button, don't release it when turning the ignition on again. Like Jwight says, timing is everything. Still takes me a few tries to get it reset sometimes.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,754 Posts
Just in case - close ALL doors (windows down) to include the hatch.

·
Premium Member
MY08 cabrio MY09 cabrio Brabus MY15 ED
7,754 Posts
But then you do live a charmed life!

With anything smart I've found it best to err on the side of trying to eliminate any gotchas - you never know where "Murphy" may be lurking?

YMMV?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts