Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
Just purchased a new to us 453. Sorry if these are repeated questions!
1) How can I find all previous warranty or service records for our smart car?
2) Where can I locate an up to date list of dealers that will do “quality” work on our cars?
3) I’ve read both, that the 453 can, and can not be flat towed. Which is it actually?
4) Is there a tow hitch for the back of our 453? (For bicycle rack NOT to tow anything!)
5) Assuming our 453 is completely stock how I can insure if our car has sports package? (it does have both black wheels and paddle shifters, tach/clock)

smart fortwo cabriolet, turbocharged 3cyl, 6 speed w/twin clutch automatic, (assume sports package)
TIA!
And because everyone likes pictures:

1613930091123.jpeg

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
You probably can obtain service records, from any MB dealership. That offered the smart car brand. A friend of mine made his own trailer hitch for the back of his 453. Since we don’t know your location. Any good automotive service center, can perform maintenance, and service on a smart car.

Input your vin number......

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you.
I didn’t give a specific location (Alaska is home) but our smart will travel through out the lower 48 states while we are traveling in our RV.

·
Super Moderator
1,651 Posts
A VMI (Vehicle Maintenance Inquiry) will show not only all the maintenance records done at a dealership, but will also show your car's build data, etc. I don't think it has to be a former Smart car dealership. I think any Mercedes dealer can pull that up with the car's VIN number. The thing is though that Mercedes says it is proprietary info and is not available to the owners. However, I have been able to sweet talk someone at a dealership to print it out for me for all of my cars, Smart or Mercedes.

Len

·
Super Moderator
17,550 Posts
Welcome!!! I'll do my best to answer what hasn't been answered:

The closest dealership to your home is in Washington. That said, any mechanic with European car experience should be able to handle repairs. I stopped going to the dealership after the warranty ended.

If you want to use dealership service, this site should give you the closest servicing dealership to wherever your RV will be:

DCT transmission-equipped cars like yours can be flat-towed, manual transmission and electric models cannot.

There are no receiver hitches available for the 453. There's a European hitch out there but it won't work for a bike rack. This is because Europe does their hitches differently than we do. A few people have purchased hitches for the 451 then modified them to work.

Love the car! Have fun!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow!
Thank you all for the prompt replies. Nice to find a forum that is active and willing to help inform us that may be new to these cars or just have questions.
I realize I incorrectly wrote #2. I misstated “dealers” when I should have said “automotive shops” as this car is out of warranty based on time.

I don’t think this car will physically be brought to Alaska for a few years at least, as we plan on traveling the states a couple weeks to a month at a time over the next few years.

·
Registered
477 Posts
My 1st of 3ea. 453s was identical to yours... I called it the General Flea because of the lava orange. The fastest way to tell if it's the sport package is a toggle switch between your right knee and the shifter. If you press it down an "S" should appear in the dash. If you press it again, an "E" will appear for economy mode. Sometimes I feel like Mario Andretti in Sport mode. (though it tightened up the suspension to reduce the yawl of a rapid turn?)

·
Super Moderator
17,550 Posts
My 1st of 3ea. 453s was identical to yours... I called it the General Flea because of the lava orange. The fastest way to tell if it's the sport package is a toggle switch between your right knee and the shifter. If you press it down an "S" should appear in the dash. If you press it again, an "E" will appear for economy mode. Sometimes I feel like Mario Andretti in Sport mode. (though it tightened up the suspension to reduce the yawl of a rapid turn?)
According to our former dealership insider, Sport Mode only adjusts shift points. But it also seems to make pedal response more aggressive. Sadly, I don't think we'll ever get a confirmation of that.

I do know that it doesn't change any part of the suspension. Sport Mode tightens up MB models with an Airmatic suspension, a nifty kit we don't get.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
A VMI (Vehicle Maintenance Inquiry) will show not only all the maintenance records done at a dealership, but will also show your car's build data, etc. I don't think it has to be a former Smart car dealership. I think any Mercedes dealer can pull that up with the car's VIN number. The thing is though that Mercedes says it is proprietary info and is not available to the owners. However, I have been able to sweet talk someone at a dealership to print it out for me for all of my cars, Smart or Mercedes.

Len
Try tipping them, a crisp Lincoln. That might get them, to print one out for you.

·
Super Moderator
1,651 Posts
Yep or donuts or a six pack.

Len

1 - 14 of 14 Posts