Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
So I have convinced a bunch of friends to reserve one of these cars but I have heard that it might be too late to if you want one in the first year.

Does anyone know how the reservations will be dealt with for getting your car?

How can you tell where you are in the list?

Are there any tricks to getting yours first?

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts
Looks like it is still a "smart" idea to make reservations and as of right now... who knows what will really contribute to getting a smart car before anyone else!

·
Registered
10 Posts
tlstc1-
I made my reservation in May, and received an email immediately from Smart telling me that I would be contacted in the Fall of 2007, by a new Smart dealer. At that point, I will have the option of retracting my reservation or changing any specs that might be changeable. I will also be informed where and when my Smart will be available. This is all according the the email from Smart.

We will see how it goes when Fall finally gets here. Did you not receive one of these emails? Which website did you make your reservation with? I went to Smart's main US site: www.smartusa.com

·
Registered
3 Posts
So I have convinced a bunch of friends to reserve one of these cars but I have heard that it might be too late to if you want one in the first year.

I seriously doubt that even half of the people that have made deposits will get a car the first year. I have a friend who works for the EPA and he claims that they have not even completed testing of the cars to meet US standards and with the normal time line it takes, it will be at least next June before they can even begin importing cars. Penske has pushed alot of hype in getting people to pay deposits for a car that may not even come before mid 2008 or later. He also has not even reached an agreement with Damler on the dealers. Daimler wants more dealers in more areas and he refuses so Daimler is tyring to set up thier own dealer network to sell the cars and if that happens then Penske will lose his deal with them. When fully researched, this whole deal is shaky and United group has collected and making interest on a lot of customer money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've made my reservation after thinking about it long and hard. I realize that there's no guarantee it will make a difference, but its only $99 and you can get it back if you want.

If the $99 bumps me up the queue a little then that will be fine. I've been through this long wait for a car thing before. Anybody remember when the PT Cruiser first hit the market? It was a 6 - 9 month waiting list when they first hit the market, so it's nothing new.

I also think it depends on where you live. If you're in California then you can pretty much guarantee there will be a long waiting list, but if you want one of these cars regardless of where you are you will need to be patient.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I agree on the making the reservation comment by SmartSometimes and encourage everyone to make reservations...

I hope they will make the cars quicker and better with additional reservations ;)

·
Admin emeritus
3,974 Posts

2offortwo, have you influenced any of your friends to reserve a smart? What are their concerns? Are they shopping for cars currently?

·
Registered
145 Posts
Reserve or Not To Reserve

Hi Everyone

I received my invitation for Chandler, Arizona and had my test drive. I also talked to the Smart Car Reps. Since this is a News & Rumors Forum I thought I woul pass along what I found out.

IT IS A GOOD THING TO RESERVE !

Rumor was that only 16000 cars would be delivered. Yesterday, I was told that they are going to try to make every effort to fulfill not only the 16000 but also anyone else that has reserved a vehicle. They are also looking at the different areas where the reservations are coming in from to determine were the dealerships will be (i.e. if there are 5 reservations in one city but in the neighboring city there are 25, then the one will 25 will get the dealership. (Pleased not go by my numbers of 5/25 because I was only using them as an example.)

Teapots

·
smart happens here!
1,830 Posts
I've made my reservation after thinking about it long and hard. I realize that there's no guarantee it will make a difference, but its only $99 and you can get it back if you want.

If the $99 bumps me up the queue a little then that will be fine. I've been through this long wait for a car thing before. Anybody remember when the PT Cruiser first hit the market? It was a 6 - 9 month waiting list when they first hit the market, so it's nothing new.

I also think it depends on where you live. If you're in California then you can pretty much guarantee there will be a long waiting list, but if you want one of these cars regardless of where you are you will need to be patient.
Yes I do! (we've got an early production PT) Indeed delivery times varied between 4 - 12 months, depending on the dealership. It will be interesting to see how Smart handles this. With the PT, established, high volume Chrysler dealers got more units then the small dealer. Of course, in this case, all the Smart dealers will start even. Now whether urban areas (like Cali, New York) will get a preference - or will they be plagued by dealer markups and slow deliveries? Oh yeah, did I mention I also have a MINI Cooper, which during its initial introduction to the States also had long delivery times.

Hmmm, there appears to be a trend here I see.... :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
Yep, I put my order in for a PT on the first day you could place an order, around 1/20/00. Production started in April/May but there was a holdup on the manual transmission and I didn't get mine until 7/19. Still they were very unique and I was offered $3,000 over what I paid the first week.
At the road show in Indy this week the rep for Smart would only say they had an "overwhelming number" of reservations and that they would import as many as they could sell. I see no downside other than loss of interest on $99 (about $2) in putting in a reservation.
It's fun to get the first run of a new car. The PT was a hoot when it was one of the first ones on the road. My wife got the very first 335i to come in our city last fall, but it was not quite as original as the PT or the Smart. We've never had problems with our first run cars from any maker.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I seriously doubt that even half of the people that have made deposits will get a car the first year. I have a friend who works for the EPA and he claims that they have not even completed testing of the cars to meet US standards and with the normal time line it takes, it will be at least next June before they can even begin importing cars. Penske has pushed alot of hype in getting people to pay deposits for a car that may not even come before mid 2008 or later. He also has not even reached an agreement with Damler on the dealers. Daimler wants more dealers in more areas and he refuses so Daimler is tyring to set up thier own dealer network to sell the cars and if that happens then Penske will lose his deal with them. When fully researched, this whole deal is shaky and United group has collected and making interest on a lot of customer money.
Dear Smoking Gun,

Hope you're wrong, but it sure sounds solid :(

- MPG

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yep, I reserved one and then recently two more guys at the hangar here put in for theirs. I can almost guarantee that they'll be getting theirs in 2009. Maybe even 2010.

Does anyone know how the reservations will be dealt with for getting your car
I asked the Smart Rep about the details of reservation program and she plain didn't know. All the details are really up in the air.

I came across the reservation program on March 19th, and have come to find out that the 19th was the first day that the reservation program was announced. Unknown how many may have been made before that date, but I expect that I'll be pretty high on the list. But because the details of the reservation program are far from written in stone, I don't even know if the dealers will be obliged to sell me one of the first ones they get. We'll just have to see.

Unknown if there are any ways to "game the system". I expect that dealers will have cancellations, but of course the dealers will be free to get as much money as they are able for any cars not spoken for. Then again, just because I have a reservation there doesn't seem to be anything stopping the dealer from doing the same to me: there is no guaranteed price even on the reservation program.

Once they start delivering I expect to see them on Ebay, Craigslist and AutoTrader at a premium. Once the supply starts to catch up with demand the price will come down. How long that will take and what level it will come down to will be directly related to production volume / consumer demand ratio.

So to answer your question, if you want one of the first, you're gonna pay. (How about a red and black one?)

·
Registered
100 Posts
I made my reservation in May. I delayed as I thought I heard they were already closed or else I would have made them sooner. I sure hope I'm somewhere on the list for 2008. Gives me time to save up anyway :cool:

·
Senior Smartie
1,263 Posts
My True Smart Ambition

I have not ordered yet as I want to drive it first then see when I can get an all electric one.:)
Dr. VDH,
I, too, wish to eventually be propelled by electricity rather than gasoline or diesel! I am hoping that there will be kit that becomes available in a year or two that will include converting the Smart into an electric drive OR, better yet, offering front drive wheel motors and a battery pack and controllers to have both the standard rear drive IC configuration AND a plug-in *Add on* if you will, to allow short commutes on plugged in power. That in my opinion, would be a perfect match for the Smart.

·
Smart A**
1,141 Posts
I put an order in on a Shelby GT500 a year before they were available with a $500 deposit and received a call to pick up the dealer's second GT500 allocation. I was handed an invoice for $20k over the MSRP. You can only imagine where I suggested they could safely store their precious sale document. I am hoping that my $99 investment in March does not result in similar disappointment.

That being said, there is no possible downside (besides the loss of $5 of interest income) to placing a reservation. It is doubtful that Mercedes is going to balk at it's commitment to refund if an order is cancelled.

I is also doubtful that anyone who has not placed the deposit is going to have a crack at the 2008s unless the dealers get greedy and start asking 5, 10 or $15k markups.

I just received an invitation to a "by invitation only" event at the local dealer on August 21. I will report back everything I can find out.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
Refund on $99 Deposit

Lead63... You asked if anyone had actually received a requested refund. Yes, they have. One of our members, ASmartMan, decided to purchase one of the converted Mercedes engine cars instead and then requested a refund. He received his check for $99 very quickly. The refund, for the few of those that request it, should not be a problem.

Ron Gaus, aSmartCar.com

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have my reservation in for the Smart Car. In no hurry right to get it. I have just over a year left on my lease. If my lease runs out before then. I will pick something else up till I hear from the Smart Car dealership.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts