Smart Car of America Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Not to be confused with normal service message to clear after regular service. This "Malfunction Service Required" seems to be a symptom of something wrong. I tried searching, but the closest I've gotten was some sort of possible coolant (battery) issue someone once had.

I looked for any signs of a leak visually and found nothing.
Tried hooking up my OBD scan tool (Bluedriver and Craftsman basic reader) and none seem compatible with this car (just says nothing or error).

1) Anyone had this message before?
2) Does anyone know what kind of OBD scan tool to help me work on my own smart?
3) Does my OVMS have a way of reading errors from the car since its already hooked up to the OBD port at all times?

Update 2/1/2022 Solution- Code cleared itself after a few days. About 2 weeks before I caught the HV batt constantly charging the 12v at all times. When I checked the 12v battery with a batt tester, it needed replacing after 6 years being the original the car came with. I replaced it with the Drualast AGM Autozone equivalent of which I am a 4 past car fan of battery. I'm guessing the error had something to do with that or the extremely cold weather after. Month after the code came it has not come back.

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
494 Posts
451 or 453?
Does it clear itself if you leave the car for 30 minutes?
If 453 and yes, may be related to service campaign being discussed in another thread.

I realized if it is the 451 in your avatar, then this is of no use.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It seemed to just like the 453 and it cleared itself. Still no symptoms, it is winter during occurrence if that means anything.

451 or 453?
Does it clear itself if you leave the car for 30 minutes?
If 453 and yes, may be related to service campaign being discussed in another thread.

I realized if it is the 451 in your avatar, then this is of no use.

·
Registered
2017 453 ForTwo Coupe ED
494 Posts
To help out others that might come across this, here is a thread on the issue for 453s:
also related:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The best I've seen so far is this thread:

which recommends the:
Mucar OBD2 Scanner VO6 Scan Tool, 2022

on sale for $337

to clear the codes to see if they come back. If they do, that would probably require an actual repair.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts