Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i decided to go to the mall today and thought what better than to park my smart (that im selling) in a spot where it can get some exposure. So i park in a spot that nobody would probably park in but its visible from an entrance and when people are leaving. I put up the for sale signs on the inside of the windshield and on the outside of the rear window.

2008 Smart Passion, miles, price, number to call, etc. listed on both signs.

Locked the car and went into the mall. Walked around, looked around and just hung out for about 3 hours. I walk back to my car and see a yellow paper folded up on my windshield. I open it up and

I get a parking ticket from a frickin mall cop

I was at the mall the entire time and still got ticketed.

But as i read the ticket I noticed 2 fails.

1. Make of car: Toyota

2. He left out the year of the car because apparently he didn't know it was a 2008, like it wasnt listed on BOTH SIGNS

and no price for the fine was listed so i'll be checking my mail the next couple days to see if anything comes

·
Registered
32 Posts
I don't think you'll hear anything else about it. If it makes you feel better, I parked my Vespa off to the side at a shopping mall about 2 years ago and got one of these "tickets" left in my helmet saying I had to park in a designated spot. Of course said mall offered no motorcycle parking. Guess I was supposed to hog an entire parking spot for my scooter...:bangwall:

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
IQ, smart car. They all look a like. I be more insulted, if I owned a Ferrari, and they wrote down Corvette. When you sell it, make sure the title of the car is correct.

I was giving a traffic violation, to appear in court Feburary 31st. I didn't make it on that date. They sent out a warrant for my arrest.

·
17,380 Posts
I once got a ticket at my college for "parking in the striped lines".

The stupid thing is that at the beginning of each semestre, there are more students than there are parking spaces, so the campus police allow people to park in the striped lines. Because when you first get to class in the morning, there are literally 0 open spaces except for handicap spaces.

When I got out of class, of course there were plenty of regular spaces open. Perhaps the officer thought I just got there and decided to "screw the system"?

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
I slid though a intersection, during a heavy snow storm. Cop wrote me up for not driving slow, under the weather condition. He wrote on the ticket, court date, 31st.of February what ever. Still didn't out of the ticket. I pointed that out to the Judge too.:confused:

Our Mall cops here, use to drive little yellow pure smart cars.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
so, if you are trying to sell your car, your not allowed to park at the mall lot...... I would call the mall office and tell them you are being harassed and discriminated against

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
so, if you are trying to sell your car, your not allowed to park at the mall lot...... I would call the mall office and tell them you are being harassed and discriminated against

Mall parking, is for mall custmors. Not for selling your goods. The mall made the rules. Plenty of other parking spots to sell your cars. Being harassed, discriminated, ???????? The mall cop was just in forcing the malls guidelines. The OP just got a write up. Next time could be a $$$$ tow.

Still the OP had a good, story.:)

·
17,380 Posts
Mall parking, is for mall custmors. Not for selling your goods. The mall made the rules. Plenty of other parking spots to sell your cars. Being harassed, discriminated, ???????? The mall cop was just in forcing the malls guidelines. The OP just got a write up. Next time could be a $$$$ tow.

Still the OP had a good, story.:)
But how does the security officer know that he parked the car there with the purpose of selling it? As far as they knew, he was shopping! :D

I mean, leaving the car there for days is one thing, but just a few hours?

·
aka 'smart-1'
1,927 Posts
IQ, smart car. They all look a like. I be more insulted, if I owned a Ferrari, and they wrote down Corvette. When you sell it, make sure the title of the car is correct.

I was giving a traffic violation, to appear in court Feburary 31st. I didn't make it on that date. They sent out a warrant for my arrest.
February 31 :huh: :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,979 Posts
But how does the security officer know that he parked the car there with the purpose of selling it? As far as they knew, he was shopping! :D

I mean, leaving the car there for days is one thing, but just a few hours?

The For sale sign in the window, might be the hint. Where he parked it too. Read the Op's story. They have the same rules, at one of our malls too. The issue is, the mall cop, didn't know weather, the OP left, or is shopping. The mall owners, don't want their parking lot turning into a used car lot. One individual does it. Everyone see that. It starts from there.

·
17,380 Posts
Can't argue with that assessment. :)

I guess it would be another thing if there were a large fine associated with it.

·
Registered
5,072 Posts
The For sale sign in the window, might be the hint. Where he parked it too. Read the Op's story. They have the same rules, at one of our malls too. The issue is, the mall cop, didn't know weather, the OP left, or is shopping. The mall owners, don't want their parking lot turning into a used car lot. One individual does it. Everyone see that. It starts from there.
in that case, If I was trying to sell my car, I would take my shopping elsewhere.

And they wonder why fewer people are going to the malls and shopping on line

1 - 14 of 14 Posts