Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a 2017 Smart Fortwo ED with the infotainment screen. It has GPS functionality via the TomTom maps with an SD card. However, maps aren't functioning and when I plug the SD card into my computer, there's no data on it.

TomTom's "SmartMediaConnect" app on my computer is giving me the infinite loop "our servers are very busy right now", and has been doing so for a day now.

Is there any way I can manually download updated map data onto the card for my car to read?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Were the maps working previously? Can't think of any reason they would suddenly disappear from the SD card. Your car should still be under warranty (assuming it's below 50K miles) so a dealer should fix it. You can always try: Maps & Map Updates | How to? | TomTom :)
Thanks for the link, I'll look into that if it comes to it. $50 for the USA map kind of sucks, but if it works well I might stomach it.

The maps were working previously to my knowledge, but we just purchased the vehicle from a non-mercedes dealership, so they don't know much about the car. They didn't even know it had a heated steering wheel, which was a welcome surprise to us yesterday! I'll try reaching out to a close dealership to see if they can assist for free.

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Thanks for the link, I'll look into that if it comes to it. $50 for the USA map kind of sucks, but if it works well I might stomach it.

The maps were working previously to my knowledge, but we just purchased the vehicle from a non-mercedes dealership, so they don't know much about the car. They didn't even know it had a heated steering wheel, which was a welcome surprise to us yesterday! I'll try reaching out to a close dealership to see if they can assist for free.
Understand that not all Mercedes dealerships will service smarts. You will have to locate one that is still doing so and they are few and far between!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Understand that not all Mercedes dealerships will service smarts. You will have to locate one that is still doing so and they are few and far between!
I am all too aware of that, unfortunately. Doesn't help that the only two that service smarts are JUST in range of the car's max. Same day service rarely works out unless I get lucky with their 220v charger.

·
Super Moderator
29,205 Posts
Another possibility is getting a copy of the SD card from an owner with a working nav system... :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Another possibility is getting a copy of the SD card from an owner with a working nav system... :)
That's actually not a bad idea, provided the files aren't encrypted to be readable only by a specific vehicle.

Where would you recommend I solicit that question in this forum? I would assume the map data couldn't be too large to not fit in something like a dropbox/google drive link, yeah?

·
Super Moderator
29,205 Posts
Try starting a thread in the General Discussion forum. Not sure about Dropbox but I've uploaded PowerPoint files with no problem. :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts