Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
(If this has already been discussed, point me to the thread please)

So last weekend I'm driving in the dark (keep the jokes to yourself please) and my co-pilot was attempting to read a map. Has anyone tryed to read at night using the dome light(?), it just aint bright, nor direct enough!

I'm looking for an enhancing replacement and/or additional light that might allow at the very least, the co-pilot to read while the stars are out :blink:

any suggestions (besides a flashlight)?

-j

·
Banned
261 Posts
Map Light

Do an internet search under "car map light", and you will find several whip antenna style map lights available that will plug into a 12V outlet. Hella makes a few different styles. When not in use, you could toss in the glove box.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts

·
Dont Feed The Trolls ^Mod
5,933 Posts
I am sure people have done the LED replacement, I have heard people talking about it. I cant find it. Please point me in the right direction.

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
You can buy these any auto parts store
Automotive Flex Light
Night driving just got easier! Instantly illuminate maps and notes, or quickly locate items within your car with this practical mini-lamp; flexible 12" neck allows you direct light exactly where you need it.

Plugs into car's cigarette lighter socket; no batteries required! PVC and ABS plastic. 3/4" diameter x 12" long.

MSRP: $7.95Wholesale: $3.42

Automotive Flex Light Wholesale

·
Banned
4,883 Posts
I am sure people have done the LED replacement, I have heard people talking about it. I cant find it. Please point me in the right direction.
I've got the LED in the dome light now.... incredible difference.

I got the set from Your LED.... they were a vendor on here but I can't seem to find them now.

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I've done the led conversion, and it helps tremendously. For the front, I used the high power 37mm, 6 led, festoon bulb that can be found here: Product Listing - CAR

As a warning, don't use the bulb from yourledshop.com in the front. It doesn't contain the proper circuitry to completely shut off. Since the interior light is controlled by the ECU, there is a slight amount of bleed-over voltage, and it glows all the time. They are a good company, and I use their bulbs in the license plate lights(same bulb as interior). The one I linked to above doesn't have that problem.
I also installed 4 LED's in the rear per the link here: HowTo: Ultimate Smart Trunk Light DIY (lots of pics) - smart USA insider
Not only do I have excellent light in the rear, but it also adds a little to the front.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
11,471 Posts
Thanks WNB08, I'm using that one and it DOES stay on slightly.

I posted NOT seeing your post :(

Thanks for the link too :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
I've done the led conversion, and it helps tremendously. For the front, I used the high power 37mm, 6 led, festoon bulb that can be found here: Product Listing - CAR

As a warning, don't use the bulb from yourledshop.com in the front. It doesn't contain the proper circuitry to completely shut off. Since the interior light is controlled by the ECU, there is a slight amount of bleed-over voltage, and it glows all the time. They are a good company, and I use their bulbs in the license plate lights(same bulb as interior). The one I linked to above doesn't have that problem.
I also installed 4 LED's in the rear per the link here: HowTo: Ultimate Smart Trunk Light DIY (lots of pics) - smart USA insider
Not only do I have excellent light in the rear, but it also adds a little to the front.

Hope this helps
that is some good information!!! Now I have a project for the upcoming weekend!!!:D

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
If you're not familiar with the differences, consider cool white to be office-building fluorescent and warm white to be living room incandescent. There's more blue in the cool white offerings since they need less phosphor material to generate the red/yellow spectrum from the blue LEDs underneath; warm whites need more material and end up producing less overall light but light that many consider "more pleasant."

I have neither in my car, only experience with white LEDs and with too-high color temperatures for home fluorescents.

·
He's not mine
9,614 Posts
Thanks John, that pretty well answers my question. Especially that the warm white produces less light. Based on your description, I'm sure I'd prefer the warm white. But, might opt for some ambient footwell lighting instead, for roughly the same dollars.

Re: Home fluorescents ... they're sold in warm white too now. I like them, and the economic/environmental benefits go without saying.

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
I initially got the cold white fluorescents for my laundry room and - after much post-install squinting - was quickly back at the hardware store buying warm whites.

As for warm white LEDs putting out less light, keep in mind that the amount of light is controlled more by the design of the driver electronics (the measured 72mA is only a portion of what the LEDs can take) than by the LEDs themselves. One can also purchase warm whites with greater efficiency than cold whites, usually at a slight upcharge from the LED manufacturer. Just because they can put out less light doesn't mean they do. But for the same drive and same blue LED, the larger amount of phosphor will produce less light.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts