Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I'm repeating a post please re-direct me but I can't find anything about my problem. I have a 2009 Smart passion with a little over 80,000 miles. It has a syrup smell inside pretty strong. I know in other cars I've owned this is usually a heater core issue scent. Has anyone else experienced this. And how hard is the core to remove? The air is still ice cold and the heater is still really hot but the smell seems to be getting stronger. The heater core doesn't seem to be leaking in the floor. I'm just at a loss. Thanks in advance for any pointers.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
could be the washer fluid too, but more likely the heater core, or a radiator leak. if you lick your lips, can you also taste it? moisture on the windshield in the morning? also indications of a leak. have a coolant system pressure test done and see if it goes down after a bit, also check coolant level...

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
If the heater core is leaking the coolant will likely go out the a/c evaporator drain to the underside of the car. The heater core and the evaporator core are in the same housing. To determine whether the heater core is leaking you would probably have to jack up the car and lower the undertray to see if coolant is leaking out the drain. I can not remember exactly where under the car the drain tube comes out. A pressure test of the cooling system may be necessary to provide a result.

The heater core comes out the right side of the hvac housing under the dash in the passenger footwell.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok thanks! I'll jack it up and see what I can figure out. I ran the heat and air and both works great. No fogging of the windshield and I've checked the antifreeze level and it doesn't drop. I took the plastic piece off covering the heater core and slid the core out about an inch or two and ran both heat and air and I could not smell anything like a leak. I'm starting to think something may have been spilled in the car somewhere. Also back in the day of green antifreeze it smelled sweet when leaking. The antifreeze in this car is pink and I'm unsure what it smells like when leaking. I'm gonna do a pressure test soon and see what happens. Every time I unloosen the overflow cap a little air escapes. I just purchased this car so I don't know much about them. So far I love everything about it.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Do you have any Canadian $50 or $100 bills in your pocket as they emit a maple syrup smell..... but yes sounds like heater core leak.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
Are you sure you are looking at the anti freeze? the factory washer fluid is pink...coolant tank will give a gush of air or a pressure release if opened when it is hot. Located to drivers side of the radiator
Washer solvent has a snap on lid and shouldn't have pressure in it. sounds like you are looking at the right tank,

Maybe someone left some pancakes in your car?? (just kidding)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes the washer fluid is blue now. I've also refilled it. The antifreeze is pink/orange kind of hard to tell through a tan container. I just felt as if I took the heater core apart the smell should have been really strong in that area and it wasn't at all. And in the mornings when there is due on my windshield is quickly goes away with the defroster and bad heater cores tend to make it worse. I'm starting to lean toward it's not the heater core. Or if it is it's steaming out of the evaporator drain under the car. But if it's doing that how am I getting the smell in the car. Is it hard to take the plastic pan loose under the car? I have access to a garage with several different type lifts.

·
Super Moderator
11,309 Posts
I believe Dex-cool was an orange-ish color. Had that in my Expedition. I have not heard good things about it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts