Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know if every state does this but Massachusetts has an interesting website that tracks annual funding, top performing dealers and electric car rebates tabulated by model. Currently there is 14% of annual funding left or $676k.

https://mor-ev.org/funding

On the stats page it tells you how many cars have been given rebates and if they are all electric drive or hybrids or alternatives. You get rebates by vehicle make, Smart is at 149 which sounds great until you check out Chevy or
which is over 1400 units. Then you get top dealers, Smart is in the middle of the pack and for Massachusetts it only lists the Somerville location not the Lynnfield location where I bought mine. They are owned by the same company so maybe they are lumped together. There are a few other stats to review as well. All are listed here.

https://mor-ev.org/program-statistics

I find this interesting
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I've been obsessively watching the rebate pool since we purchased our car on August 30th. At that time it was at 17%, when I started this thread it was at 14% a week later. Today I checked and it's down to 8%. That's a 9% drop in less than a month. I think it would be interesting to match monthly sales with rebate requests.

Also interesting, 10 more Smart owners asked for rebates in the last month. From 149 to 159 so far for the year. GM is stomping everyone else with over 1,500 rebate requests followed by Tesla at 1300. Honda is at the tail end with 3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kind of strange. This weekend the fund for rebates was down to 1% and it increased to 3% by today. I know this is a Massachusetts deal but does anyone know if they refresh or add supplemental cash to the rebate reserve? SmartCarDan if you read this do you have any clue?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
168 Posts
Kind of strange. This weekend the fund for rebates was down to 1% and it increased to 3% by today. I know this is a Massachusetts deal but does anyone know if they refresh or add supple
I think​
mental cash to the rebate reserve? SmartCarDan if you read this do you have any clue?
It was down to 1% remaining/ 99% claimed.

They realized that having no state rebate from Oct 1 to Jan 1 would hurt EV sales so they started the 2018 fund early. It is now 3% claimed, 97% remaining.

Notice is says "MOR-EV Funds: September 2017- Present" now because they ran out at the very end of September and started using funds in advance.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,297 Posts
Every year around this time California is out of incentive money, so they take reservations to go on a 'Waitlist.' Then when the funds are renewed for the next fiscal year, those on the waitlist begin receiving their rebate checks. The criteria has grown stricter over the years, now higher income folks are locked out, and lower income folks are seeing rebates first. It looks to me like MA has modeled their program around CA's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I just got an email today from the State agency sending rebate checks. Mine went out today, a cool $2500. Should be seeing it soon. The email also stated that this is possibly taxable income... groan. I guess I should've seen that coming.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top