Smart Car of America Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In MA you can get special electric vehicle plates. The plates are a no additional cost option when registering the car and is available for pure electrics or hybrids. My dealer did not get EV plates so I just got them for the cost and aggravation of plate swapping at the DMV. As far as I know it does not give you any privileges whatsoever, the idea is that emergency personel will know immediately they are dealing with an EV and not an ICE car and can proceed appropriately.

A cool number too specially since 5 is our lucky number

·
Registered
465 Posts
Cool. Ontario plates are white with green lettering. It matches my paint perfectly :)

The colour is off in this pic - it's actually a much brighter green.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Here in IL ...

only vehicles that are 100% electric are eligible so a smart Ed, LEAF and Tesla would get one but a Volt or C-Max Energi would not. Plate only costs $35 for every 2 years vs $101/year for regular ones so its worth the hassle. Ours are rather plain though ... here is one on a Tesla; BTW, IL Senate President John J. Cullerton has a black Tesla with plate '1 EL' so political clout has its privileges. The plate itself is pretty much stealthy looking but low in numbers (a few hundred lower than the 1515 featured from MA). Lastly, my son works in MA lives in NH so will be on the lookout for these on our next visit east; he has seen 1 or 2 LEAF's but no smart Ed's yet in southern NH around Nashua.

P1040401 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Yeah, it would be cool if EVs had their own plate in Cali. Although we do have a lot of vanity plate options already.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts